stihl KM110 vs KM130

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rmmllc, Mar 15, 2008.

1. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

I am considering buying a KM 110 or 130. Any feed back on either of these? I plan on buying the straight shaft edger (main use of the equipment) and the articulating hedge trimmer (to be used occasionally). I may eventually purchase the tiller and pole saw also.
    The 110 is only like .2 pounds lighter, so I am leaning toward the 130 for 1.9 HP (vs 1.3). What are your thoughts? anyone use these?

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I have the KM130 and love it, if you plan to use the tiller get the 130 (I have the tiller). The pole saw could also use more power. I say get as much power as you can afford

3. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

My advice would be to get separate equipment. The price can come close to buying stuff separate after getting all those attachments. I had a km110r. I liked the power should be lighter also. Get the 110. Also try the curved shaft instead, it seems to leave a cleaner edge.

4. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input- the dealer just carries the 110's but he said he'd try to get one ASAP for me to see. It didn't seem like that much more weight for the power gain, and only $50 more. Does it work well with the edger? I have a Stihl FS100R- four stroke, pre-mix string trimmer and love it. Always starts, plenty of power, and light enough for me. Stihl seems to make great machines.

5. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

I doubt I'd use the hedger enough to justify a stand alone unit, but it is always nice to have if you can justify. I'll compare cost though. I've heard the curve shafts wear out sooner- am I wrong? People tell me the straight are more durable. I've never used one, I just turn the string trimmer on its side and cut a line that way, but it takes time to learn and I'd like my employees this year to be mowing like pros out of the gates.

6. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought the km130 yesterday and its awsome,36cc engine which is the strongest engine made for any combo set. I got the hedge trimmer,pole pruner and straight edger attachments. Lots of power!!

7. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know about wearing out quicker but the straight edger gives you more torque at the blade because the curve takes away from the power!

8. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

I just did some math-
    KM 110 with hedger and straight edger= 747
    KM 130 with same = 797

straight edger and hedger units (2 stand alones) = 959
    only 162 and 212 cheaper respectively. That's closer than I thought to making it worth buying stand alones just for the two units, but if I add any more attachments it will increase the cost benefit to buying the Kombi unit. If it were only those two that I project buying and if I had more than one crew it might be better to buy stand alone units, and I may end up buying at least a stand alone edger if I add a crew this year. Ok I'll stop, just thinking out loud.

9. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

Glad to hear people don't regret the 130- I was leaning that way, now I'm about converted. Any nay-sayers?

10. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I'm just saying from my experience I had a kombi with the straight edger and got tired of the bad results from edging with it. I eventually sold the kombi and not have all separate units. The echo hc150 is a great little hedge trimmer for the money.