Stihl KM130 dumping fuel out of carb

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Fubba, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Fuel dumps out of carb when the motor is shut down. So much so that I have to keep the air filter off, or it will clog the filter and won't start again. What is the problem? I run 100% gas, 93 octane, and Stihl ultra oil. Thanks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like the inlet needle is not seating properly allowing it to flood. Could be caused by stiff diaphragm, or dirt, or a worn needle tip. Could also be the main nozzle check valve (if it has one).
    Prolly better for ya to just replace the carb.

3. austins35

austins35 LawnSite Member

i agree with Fish slap a new carb on it an be done rebuilding (rebuild kit) is a hassle in my opinon not worht the time, money or effort

use 93 octane gas and treat your gas an you'll be good

4. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure if these carbs have floats but fuel dumping out of a carb is usually a stuck float. I have had it happen n our quads and sometimes you can tap the float bowl with the handle of a screwdriver and it will free it up.

I also agree with replacing the carb if they aren't to expensive. Sometimes trying to troubleshoot and fix carbs is more trouble than it's worth.

5. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

So carb then. Nothing to do with the vent on the tank?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it would be your carb. Nothing to do with the tank or tank vent would cause a carb to flood. Clogged tank vents actually cause the opposite to happen. They will cause the tank to vapor lock and little or no fuel will flow to the carb.

Just done some searching and found out these carbs don't have floats. But as Bigfish said, something is keeping your inlet needle or valve from shutting off fuel flow inside the carb.

The good news is a new carb only sells for about $35-40. At that price I would just get a new one, slap it on and be done with it.

7. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

A properly working tank vent should only allow air to enter the tank as not to create a vacuum... But should seal off to pressure and not allow any fuel back to the air filter base.

A tank vent that is stuck closed will not allow air to the tank... However, a tank vent that is stuck open can and will cause fuel to be spit back to the air filter base.

So, is the fuel coming from the carburetor venturi (A in the picture) OR the tank vent line fitting in the air filter base (B in the picture)?

Is fuel is coming from A? If so then it would only be a carburetor issue.
    Is fuel is coming from B? If so then a new carburetor would do no good as it is a tank valve that is stuck open (C in the picture).

Air Filter Base - Tank Vent Line Fitting - Tank Vent.jpg

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

These carbs don't have floats as you would find on a bowl style carb. Its all diaphragms and flexible membranes. The aluminum covers tend to warp when disassembled. The passages are tiny and don't clean well. Kits are rare so you have little choice but to replace the carb. New pipes and filter are a good idea too.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Good photo and explanation! Should be very helpful.

How'd ya get it so clean ??? lol

10. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Thanks! Pictures are always worth a 1000 words.

I just happened to have a couple hanging around... :laugh:

P9250001.jpg