Stihl Kombi System 85/110

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sethsodsquad, Sep 12, 2004.

1. sethsodsquad

sethsodsquad LawnSite Member

My Ryobi Trimmer Plus 725r is a hassle to keep running - the screws that keep the muffler on keep coming out - so I have decided to look for some better equipment.

I have always looked at the Stihl Kombi-system, and was wondering how much of a difference there was between the KM85 and KM110.

I have all of these Ryboi Trimmer Plus attachments (will work on JD quick attach, homelite. . . etc.) and also was wondering if these would fit on the Stihl Kombi-system units.

Another thing - would it be better to think about getting a bp blower instead of trying to use the Ryobi blower on the Stihl unit? I noticed that Stihl does not make a blower for the Kombi-system unit. Why is this?

Thanks.
    Seth

2. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

No they will not fit. The Kombi system for Stihl is OK. Hard to start and if you use it like I do (47 properties a week) some of the parts wear out quickly. Such as the tightening handle. Over all not a bad set up if you do not have enough money to buy seperate components. Up side is that with two power heads I can run all of my tools should one go down.

3. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I have the KM 85 and love it! I like having only one power head to maintain instead of many and it takes up less space. Different schools of thought, that's all.

Brian

4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

The KM85 is a 2-cycle and the 110 is the new 4-mix, more power. FYI, if you buy a regular FS85 or FS110, you can still buy other powerheads such as hedge trimmer, cultivator, etc and swap them out. They slide on the shaft by loosening two torq bolts. If you aren't going to need the other powerheads very much I would recommend this route.

5. ed's lawn service

ed's lawn service LawnSite Member

I have the km-110. love it. the is never a timne when i don't have enough power. it is heavier than the km-85, but i think that the difference in power is is what makes the 110 better even if it is heavier. like rhett said, some of the parts wear out after alot of use, i.e. the screw for attaching the attachment, but it is nice just having one power pod. :)

6. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have both units and my crew races to grab the 110 first. The knobs are the weakest link but they are only 5.00 to replace 2-3 times a year.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Nevermind,...I'll follow up later.

8. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Why get a combination unit after what you have gone through?

The biggest problem with these is that if your power head is down then you have NO equipment!!
    Spend the money on seperate units. You will be better off in the long run!!!!!

9. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

True. i agree that you shouldnt have all your eggs in one basket, however, most people have more than one trimmer. i thought long and hard about the (what if's) before buying new trimmers last year and i knew if i relied on one power unit to do everything that i was asking for trouble. so i did what every red-blooded, over-spending american does. i bought two. an 85 and a 110. i couldnt be happier with them. i only wish i had bought two of the 110's instead of one of each. :cry:

10. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Good point!!
    If you do not have a backup you could be in a world of hurt! I had a back up of every pice of equipment when I was in lawncare and I advise all my lco customers to do the same!