STIHL Kombi System is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cajuncreole, Nov 5, 2004.

1. cajuncreole

cajuncreole LawnSite Member

I am looking at purchasing the Stihl Kombi System, it is a powerhead (31.4cc. 1.3bhp) with a split shaft PTO with interchangeable attachments. The attachments I am looking at are the Power Scythe, Pole Pruner and Trimmer. The total cost for the power head and 3 attachments is @ $760.

Anyone have any experience with the Stihl Kombi System??? What do you think?

2. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on your situation. Have been using the combi system for a couple of years. The KM 85 power head in itself seems to hold up well over all. Down sides is hard to start, not all that powerfull. The coupler where the attachment slides in tends to strip the tightening screw and just flat wears out if you are constantly changing attachments. The up side that if you have two powerheads you have back up for all of your hand held equipment for 300 extra dollars. The attachments are just ok. The hedge trimming atachment are combersome ($275) the edger is a curve shaft edger in is good for just over a season before the shaft goes ($90) and the trimmer works fine. Can't comment on the pole saw. The bad part is that you get so much tied up in all the attachments that once you get in you find yourself stuck.

3. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 110 trimmer, with the power broom, edger and the extended hedge trimmer. I love the combinations. Bought it new this spring and it has already paid for itself. I also have a seperate 4' extension, for everything, but that makes for long and heavy things. Don't use that one too much.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Unless you will be interchanging them quite often I would buy the attatchments for a regular trimmer (fs85 or 110)
    and just change them as needed. I don't care much for split shafts.

5. cajuncreole

cajuncreole LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, per your advice I opted out of the combi system and I just purchased the Stihl FS 110 and saved quite a bit along with a 10% discount on the attachments. Tried them out today and did not want to come in but daylight savings time chased me back in. I love the new 4 cycle engine, quite, smooth and poweful.

6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

split shafts are nice. i have the echo 260 pas. i have the broom and trimmer for it. i am very pleased with the product, no complaints.