STIHL KOMBI SYSTEM - YES or NO ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Going Commercial, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Going Commercial

Going Commercial LawnSite Member

I am a Stihl guy but not quite sure on the Kombi System. I will be purchasing a dedicated line trimmer, deciding on a 110rx. Also looking into buying a second unit, the 110 Kombi because I need an edger and thought of future use for adding attachments. That being said, I am looking for input on the Kombi in regards to reliability and quality of use. Thanks to all who reply!!!

2. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

I wrestled with the same choices early last year. I purchased the 110 kombi and the following attachments: string trimmer, stick edger, cultivator, pole saw w/extension, and the articulating hedge trimmer.
    I'll admit that it gets a bit heavy after awhile, but I have made lots of money with the attachments. The pole saw itself has more than paid for all the attachments combined!

And, as always, it still cranks on the first pull!

3. GracesLandscaping

GracesLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i dont see why not... ive been running one lately and if your gonna buy a stihl and even think you might have the use for any of the attachments i dont see why you wouldnt buy it. i mean, you get the same powerhead so its a win/win to me!

4. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I've been thinking of getting one. The only negative thing I can see is that the system has been around for awhile (4 years I think) and they might change the design. And then I'll be stuck with a unit I can't get attachments for. But probably not.

5. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think they will do that. They first started out with the KM55 and KM80 then came along the 110, 130, and now some 56 model. I don't think they will make a drastic change or changes.

I started out first with the kombi attachments and love them. If you only do a few yards, it will be great. If you are doing a whole lot, changing out attachments everytime would not be the way to go. My kombi stuff now is primarily a backup unit, but I do have the hedge trimmer att. I use, and love it.

The way I think of the kombi, is that it is a backup unit, because every attachment they make for it can backup any handheld.

6. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ya diden't figure they would change it anytime soon, when Stihl has a good thing they rarely change it. It's mostly going to be a backup, backup unit. The broom and pole saw will get used more than the trimmer. Does it come with any attachments or is it just the power head?

7. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

What do you mean? You can buy everything individually. They used to have "package deals" if you bought a power head and a couple attachments. I don't know if they do that anymore.

8. Trenchblade

Trenchblade LawnSite Senior Member

we love the stihl kombi system, have one on every truck.

9. Prime Cuts

Prime Cuts LawnSite Member

the 130 with the edger will make a believer out of you ...... we use the pole saw & hedge trimmer on them but its the baddest stick edger I have ever used

10. mitw44

mitw44 LawnSite Member

I bought the K110R last year, and love it. I have the string trimmer, the articulating hedge trimmer (this is awesome on tall hedges), edger, and pole saw. I mainly mow, but do lay down edges for a few customers, and invariably am asked to trim hedges and light tree trimiming. I probably could not justify having a dedicated tool for all of these tasks, plus I keep the gas fresh in the power head because the power head gets regular use this way. It is actually becoming my preferred string trimmer over my older stihl fs 80. I also really like the power and starting ability of the new 4-mix engine.:rolleyes: