Lawn Care Forum banner

Stihl Kombi users

8K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  cuttenup 
#1 ·
Which attachments do you have for your Stihl Kombi system & which of them do you use the most? Im looking to ad a few to my collection. Right now I have the KM130 power head with the stright trimmer, pole saw with extension pole & the adjustable hedge trimmer attachments. I use all of these tools alot. Im thinking about adding the blower and stright edger attachments soon. What are your thughts on these attachments?

#2 ·
We have 4 130 power heads. Each one has a pole saw 2 extended hedge trimmer 4 trimmer 2 straight edger 1 tiller and 1 bed edger. The blower is useless we use the edger for cut ins and a couple accounts that only allow edger
Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
I have the KM110 power head with extension & string trimmer, articulating hedge trimmer, brushcutter w/blades and pruner saw attachments. I use it as a limb pruner & brushcutter primarily with some hedge trimming and only use the string trimmer as an emergency backup to my main trimmers. Can't image using it as a blower, but would like to have the mini-cultivator attachment.

#4 ·
110 unit. Both hedge trimmers, tiller, chainsaw, weedeater & blower attachments & several extension poles. The blower is great for light duty blowing. Best to use the tiller pulling it backwards rather than forward. Seems to till better walking backwards. Though Stihl says use one extension only, I have used two with the chainsaw attachment but its heavy and will wear you out quickly.

#5 ·
I just have regular FS trimmers, but I have the pole pruner, articulating hedge trimmer, straight edger and power sweeper. The last doesn't get used all the time, but when I need it, it is one of the best tools I have ever owned. I smile every time I use it. Plus, by pulling a hairpin at each end, I can pop off the rubber paddles, and install the sweeper bristles, or the tiller, and a couple other things off the yard boss system attachments- all on the one gear box that drives the power sweeper.

The straight edger stays on my FS90 most of the time, but I use the other stuff about an equally, which constitutes about 10% of the time.

#7 ·
I have a 90km and a 130km. Blower, straight edger, tiller, pole saw, trimmer, and picking up the 135 degree hedge trimmer, bed redefiner, and a extension. I love the blower on the 130! It's easier than using a bp on small yards if you leave it on and never take it off. If nothing else it's a maintenance free $90 backup blower.
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
I have 2 KM 110 one is new one is 6 years old.
I just bought a KM 55 for my back up but may use it all the time.
Attachments:
String trimmer, works real good and is easy to load trimmer line. The only down fall is the part you "bump" wears out fast.

Curve shaft edger, works good, had to replace the defelector a couple of times.

Adjustable hedge trimmer, works real good and being able to "bend" isreal nice.

Pole saw, works ok, the chain tends to "grab" small branches.

Extension, great investment for the saw and hedge trimmer, if you dont have one get one, I will say the stuff can get real heavy and Id be real careful around windows.

Bed edger, just got so far Im unimpressed, however I havent used it that much.

Brush cutter, its worthless so Ive only used it a couple of times, eventually Im gonna try some different blades

I likley get the tiller this year, I gave my mantis away

#10 ·
The reasonI bought the blower was because my 600 had to go into the shop. Like has been said, it's a great little backup
Posted via Mobile Device
I too have a BR600 & use it for power blowing heavy leaves. I prefer the Kombi blower because its fine for most light stuff & I keep all my kombi stuff in my kingcab...easier to store. Blowing off grass clippings, mulch on sidewalks, I prefer the Kombi.

"Pole saw, works ok, the chain tends to "grab" small branches."

Check your sprocket, it might be worn. I've experienced this grabbing quite a bit myself. I have gone thru several sprockets as well.

#11 ·
I too have a BR600 & use it for power blowing heavy leaves. I prefer the Kombi blower because its fine for most light stuff & I keep all my kombi stuff in my kingcab...easier to store. Blowing off grass clippings, mulch on sidewalks, I prefer the Kombi.

"Pole saw, works ok, the chain tends to "grab" small branches."

Check your sprocket, it might be worn. I've experienced this grabbing quite a bit myself. I have gone thru several sprockets as well.
The saw is fairly new, and it has done that since its was brand new. I has more to do with the chain. I has a troy built attachment plus and that say was a dream it cut stuff like butter, who would think the commerical stuff wouldnt work as good.

#12 ·
The pole pruner works best (and is designed to) when you give it at least half throttle before touching the chain to the wood. Large chainsaws work the same way, especially when using a full chisel chain.

The only time mine grabs is when I have it against the branch before pulling the trigger, or when it is at low rpm's before starting the cut.

#13 ·
I would not spend the $ on the blower, get a BR 600 instead.
I wouldn't compare the blower against a backpack. There's no comparison there.
But the Kombi blower with a 110 head is easily more powerful than any handheld blower (and is supposed to be even better with a 130). It's just fine for dusting clippings off of a sidewalk, or other things you'd use a handheld blower for, when you don't want to drag out the backpack.

I have one that I let my wife use. Her long hair just wouldn't be safe with my backpack blower. She really likes that it can reach pretty far out, so it is good for cleaning out flower beds. Again, better than any handheld.
Yeah, it is heavier, but with the strap on your shoulder, you don't notice the weight.

#15 ·
Takes no more than a min. There is some grease and grit but nothing to worry about. They are one of my favorite investments and great for solo or small companies. I like to be able to take one power head on landscape jobs and be able to do just about anything. No separate equipment you have to bring and fill up or worry about it not starting. I usally bring both power heads just n case. If you go this route buy the km130 and call it a day.
Posted via Mobile Device

#16 ·
It takes about 5 seconds more than it takes to put down a trimmer and pick up an edger that's the same two steps away as your other attachment. Loosen nut. Pull out attachment. Put in new one. Wiggle it until it bottoms out. Tighten nut. It took twice as long to type this as it does to swap attachments, and I type as fast as I can talk.

For a long time, Stihl offered "gearbox" attachments. These go at the end of the shaft (loosen the torx screws and pull the trimmer head off for example), and that has an issue with dirt. The Kombi system is split in the middle of the shaft. Dirt really doesn't get that far up. And it is a tool-less change.
The only issue with dirt, is that when the attachment is separated, it can get dirt in there if you drag it in the dirt. You kind of just have to be a little mindful of that.

The difference in weight between the Kombi tool and the fixed version of the same is just the weight of the clamp, and that's well less than the weight of the gas in your tank. You really cannot feel the difference.

#17 ·
I've just started looking at the kombi system online. How long does it take to change between say a trimmer and an edger? When you go to change attachments is there a problem w/ getting debris in the system? What about grease from the attachments...does it collect grit?
Kombi attachments are bullet proof. They take literally seconds to change. Theres 2 springs that tent to break and if one does change them both immadetly, Im stuck with a shaft that has broken springs because I didn't change them immadeatly.

Dirt getting in the attachments has never been a problem for me, sometimes the attachments get thrown into the truck and its still never been an issue.

All my issues have been with the power heads, I wore one out in 6 years, I think it should have lasted longer, it does still run however. Sthil plastics suck and the covers tend to crack after a couple of years.

Its also to find sthil parts outside of your local dealer, which sounds bad but I will say sthil parts seem to be somewhat reasonable in price.

#18 ·
My 130 powerhead just came in today, i am picking it up in the morning.. I can't wait.

#19 ·
I got the blower for my 130, i have to say that i am impressed. I have been using a br600 to blow my grass clippings and such with so i was expecting to not like it. I am very suprised at how strong this little thing is..

#20 ·
Told you so!! I almost always have the blower on my 130. Perfect for landscaping jobs.
Posted via Mobile Device

#22 ·
I bought the bed redefiner attachment several weeks ago and put it to work the past week on a couple landscape jobs. So far I am very impressed! It works very well and cuts a great edge. Much faster than using a spade thats for sure! So far the only drawbacks that I have found are that it doesnt cut on much of an angle... its more of a stright edge (no that big of a deal) and if the ground is wet the guard will clog up with topsoil and you will have to stop every so often and clean it out but there again no really that big of a deal to me. I use it with the KM130 power head. Think I will be adding the blower attachment next!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.