Stihl Kombi

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Paulup, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you have experience with these? They have about a dozen attachments, from trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer, blower, brooms, etc.

[​IMG]

My local Stihl dealer is recommending i pick this up and buy the different attachments. He would be making a lot more money if i bought the individual pieces, so i'm leaning towards taking his advice. Any thoughts?

2. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

We've got one. Works pretty slick. We have the power sweep, the edger, and the pick tines.

3. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Not really commercial grade? you can purchase the attachments for the single straight shaft equipment also, more expensive though. If you starting out it's the cheap way to get all the attachments, but you will soon find out that it will limit the work you can perfrom.

4. Frontstreetlawns

Frontstreetlawns LawnSite Member

it sucks switching attachments on the job, i have one but in summer its an edger and in winter its a pole hedge trimmer

5. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

One concern about combi is you have to be careful not to get dirt into the joint when it is exposed. Right in the middle of doing a job, it might be very easy to take it off and toss it down and get dirty.

Also the attachment that have reduction gear like cultivator, broom, brush etc. might be expensive and in order to ensure you have back up, you pretty much have to get two motor units. The cost will add up fast.

I guess I am more the single purpose person. Also the single purpose stuff usually are a little lighter.

That is just me. I have been wrong too many times to insist. Watch the poll result that I post on comparing between 4Mix and 2 cycles also.:waving:

Please join in and vote also. Thanks

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Stihl Kombi is great. Its easy to switch attachments and only takes a few seconds and you can leave the engine running while you are switching. I keep all of my attachments in a tool chest when I use my other truck, but am goi9ng to fab a frame on my trailer to hold an aluminum tool chest which will allow me to keep all power heads and attachments under lock and key and out of the elements instead of sitting in a rack in the weather attracting thieves. I have two power heads so a backup is not a problem for me.

The cool thing is you can purchase 2 edger attachments for less than one dedicated edger and you can equip one with a standard blade and one with a Trenchblade which is what I plan to do.

The dirt in the joints is not a big problem as I don't toss them on the dirt when I unhook them but I have yet to clean mine when and if they get dirty.

As far as a 4 Mix, nothing wrong with them if you use the correct oil and correct 50:1 mix ratio, they have plenty of power, torque and are very easy to start.

To answer the "not commercial grade", I beg to differ, I have the KM130 and it is professional...Stihl even lists it as professional and its the same engine used on professional dedicated units so that's not even a question up for debate.

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Just curious...how does it limit the work you can do? If I am not mistaken every attachment they make for it is also made in a dedicated machine.

8. Buddy Buds

Buddy Buds LawnSite Member

Mine is awesome. I have the hedge trimmer,weed trimmer, weed wacker and the edger. Only seconds to change out. The attachments are easy to service also.

9. Buddy Buds

Buddy Buds LawnSite Member

I also have two dedicated trimmers. 1 FS 90 and one curved shaft. The combi FS 110 is commercial grade. It gives you a lot of versitility.

10. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

I have the 110R and the 130 kombi. the Kombi with the sweeper is much heavier then the 110R, but both are awesome machines. they take special mini spark plugs that the auto parts stores don't carry, so stock up on them. I also have a hedge trimmer, blade, and chain saw attachments that I use all the time.