Stihl KombiSystem KM110R?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kuhndog, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Kuhndog

Kuhndog LawnSite Member

Does anyone have feedback on this system? I was at my dealer today and looked at this model and thought it would be a nice addition. I am curious at how the various attachments perform (hedge trimmer, lawn edger, cultivator).How sturdy is the machine in regards to the split shaft design? I don't want to have to tighten constantly to secure attachments. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

We recently bought a 110r trimmer. Instead of buying 2 trimmers, we went with the Kombi system with a trimmer attachment to use as a back-up and the edger attachment. So far it works beautifully and we save a little cash in the process.

3. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I've not been too pleased with mine. Had multiple problems with throttle/trigger assembly. Been back to shop many times. Most of problem is probably the dealer. The safety switch and throttle trigger gets hung multiple times/ day.

I bought the powerhead, edger and hedge trimmer initially. Unfortunately I have about $700 sunk into the system already. Not real smart to unload it now. Just gonna deal with it.

Got buy a new set of handheld hedge trimmers...going Redmax with everything from now on.

4. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I love mine and so do the employees. We have had NO troubles with them and they have been used fairly hard. I feel they are easy to use and to change and you carry less. They are worth it.

5. marckxman

marckxman LawnSite Member

I like mine. It is plenty powerful and starts easy. Changing attachments is very fast and they seem to stay quite secure. No complaints here about the system itself. But it may not be for everyone.

Pros:
    Great powerhead
    Takes up less room on trailer
    Save a little money
    Stihl quality

Cons:
    If the powerhead goes down, everything is down
    You don't save that much money
    Probably a little heavier than individual machines. Not too bad though

I bought mine primarily as a stick edger and extended trimmer. I got the chainsaw and extension piece as well. I would recommend any of these attachments. I suppose one bonus is if I ever needed to do any heavy duty brush clearing I could buy the string trimmer attachment for less then $90

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Kombi rules. The best thing is you don't smell like exhaust after using it.

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I got tired of servicing multiple engines and I have always wanted a way to trim those tall hedges without a ladder to fall off of, that was the first reason I bought the kombi - for the articulating hedge trimmer. I now have the grass trimmer, cultivator, and edger.

The ONLY problems I have had in the last 3 years is when I bought my hedge trimmer it had a defective shaft, once swapped out with another one no probs, and I had a batch of bad gas that wrecked the carbs in my kombi, my chainsaw and blower- crap that sucked, but not the kombi's fault.

The cultivator works great for small area's and I know guys that use it for mulch fresh-ups. I think I am going to devise some attachment that will put a weight on it though, it gets old quick pushing the cultivator into the ground to break-up hard soil.

Never had an issue with the units coming apart. Highly recommend them.

8. Kent Lawn Care

Kent Lawn Care LawnSite Member

i have four of the kombi systems, i like them because you only need one engine for multiple uses. i have all but two of the attachments for them, i have one of all the attachements with my landscaping crew, it saves in the long run, think about it also, what happens if the engine blows by some weird reason, you only have to buy the engine end of the deal, you keep going with all the attachments.

9. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same issue as Firescooby, I like the unit overall. I have the weedeater and hedgetrimmer attatchments. Since the first year the unit has been pretty reliable, however the hedge trimmer and weedeater attatchment feels unbalanced, you have to get used to it. Overall it has serviced us very well as a back of unit.

10. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Best $$$ I spent last season. The KM110 is a moneymaker. It's a little heavier than some of the others, but easy to handle if you're not a weakling.