Stihl KombiSystem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Razorblade2, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Razorblade2

Razorblade2 LawnSite Member

Is the Stihl KombiSystem as good as it looks? Are there any down sides as opposed to individual machines? Also wondering, Stright or curved shaft edger? My Stihl dealer says stright shaft all the way, but I know I've heard alot of people say go curved shaft. Any thoughts?

2. 1whitetail

1whitetail LawnSite Member
    from florida

I have an fs 85 kombi and have never had any problems with it other than replacing the primer bulb and general maintenance. They are great and can save you a ton of money. The only down side that I see is if you have engine problems than you are completely down unless you have a back up power unit. As for the edger I have the curved shaft and have never had any problems with it. The straight shaft edger cost around double and is only needed in my opinion if you are going to be edging a lot of overgrown edges.

3. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a KM 90 R with the hedge trimmer head. I used to have the straight shaft edger but sold it. The powerhead runs fine, as good as any other Stihl engine and changing the attachments is easy enough. I would hate changing them out multiple times on each lawn, so I stick with dedicated units and have the Kombi as a backup.

I used to run the straight shaft edger and HATED it. It left a very bad edge, grass was always hanging over and it looked like I hadn't even edged at all. I switched to a curved shaft Stihl edger and I love it, it leaves a perfect edge. I do a lot of edging so it has to look perfect.

4. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i have the 85 and last season i had to replace the carb. today was the first day i used it since the carb was replaced and it's running a little funny. runs great except at idle. it dies after like 2 min. of leaving it idle. can anyone tell me what the problem could be? i'm thinking some minor adjustment?

anyway i think it's a great machine. i use it with the pruner attachment and the straight shaft edger. it does great at maintaining edges on a weekly basis. i don't like the curved shaft, it's a little aqward for me. when i bought it, it came with the trimmer attachment so it will serve as my backup trimmer should i ever need one.

the only down side i can think of (and thats only if it's true) is that they say units that have attachments aren't as good as a dedicated unit. the sometimes lack the power and quality needed. but i've never had any problems with mine.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Just saw a TV commercial about these kombi's as I'm writing this....

The main difference between the straight and curved shaft edgers (other than the shaft) is the speed the blade turns. The straight shaft will turn slower than the curved shaft blade. So the curved shaft will give you a more "crisp" cut since its turning faster. But the straight shaft edger will give you more torque to power through thick, overgrown edges, while still giving you a fairly clean cut. If you maintain edges weekly, then the curved should do fine, but if you only edge a couple times a year, then the straight shaft would probably suit you better.

I like my KM110R. I've got the hedge trimmer, string trimmer and straight shaft edger for mine. The string trimmer and edger are new for this year, I've only tried the edger out of the two. And the edger did just fine, the edge was very clean....I can't compare it to a curved shaft however since I have never used one.

6. iluvpizza

iluvpizza LawnSite Member

I have the FS 85 as well and it works great. I've had mine for 5 years now the only problem was with the spring in the pull start. I have the chainsaw, hedge trimmer, line trimmer, and paddle broom.

7. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i see what your saying about the speed vs. torque but i find that my straight shaft edger does an excellent job maintaining edges on a weekly basis. purhaps it is the type of grass we are edging??? don't think that would make a difference but the edges are very sharp and "crisp".

8. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the home owners version of the Kombi last summer, ran the saw & both of the hedger attachments & the blower & have yet to have any problems with it. I just bought the 130 kombi with the tiller attachment this week.

9. Razorblade2

Razorblade2 LawnSite Member

That tiller attachment looks awesome!

10. AOD

AOD LawnSite Senior Member

I'd love me a Kombi system, it's the only powerhead and attachment system that is truly heavy duty. I am still running a hodgepodge of Poulan/Troybilt junk. It gets the job done but at a high PITA factor.