stihl lawn trimmer won't start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ferris hilton, Sep 4, 2007.

1. ferris hilton

ferris hilton LawnSite Member

We have a Stihl lawn trimmer that won't start occasionally, when this happens we sometimes take the filter out and then it will start. We put the filter back in and it runs fine. Does anyone have a clue as to what could be wrong. Our mechanic doesn't understand what it could be.

Thanks

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Ignition module erratically going out.

3. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

have you put in a new filter?

4. ferris hilton

ferris hilton LawnSite Member

filters are clean

5. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl stuff is junk! Throw it away and buy anything else.

6. huntw11871

huntw11871 LawnSite Member
    from NC

Ferris I would try to shoot some carb cleaner in there and see if that helps. It could be one of the butterfly's in the carb sticking. Also check the spark plug to see if it is in bad shape. Carb problems fowls it pretty bad. Hey and there is nothing wrong with stihl I got stuff made from them that has been runnig just as long as cutbetterthanyou mouth. I hope this may help.

7. huntw11871

huntw11871 LawnSite Member
    from NC

Let me know what you find out is wrong.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Just another tidbit I learned to help eliminate causes is to get a big nasty tube of die-electric grease at the auto parts store, they're under 5 bucks... Then, always apply a small dab of it to any and every spark plug tip right before putting the spark plug boot over it.

Might not, probably won't fix your problem, but it's one less thing to get in your way later.

All my stuff's got die-greased plug tips, it's standard procedure in my shop when installing or replacing them.

9. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are ever in maryland let me know you can stop by and have about $400 worth of stuff that is under a year old that i am just tried of take to the shop

10. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

How many Stihl tools did you buy for $400 ? To say that Stihl is junk is an absurd statement - they are the benchmark for power tools .