Stihl MS 270 C-B vs MS 310

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eaglejrl, Oct 16, 2006.

1. eaglejrl

eaglejrl LawnSite Member
    from 75681

I'm hoping some of you guys might cut and sell firewood during the off season. The MS 270 has all the bells and whistles of newer model chain saws (quick chain adjustment, advanced anti-vibration, etc) but only has 3.4 hp compared with the MS 310 that has 4.0 hp but no bells and whistles.
    The MS 310 only cost $10 more than the 270. I'm leaning toward the 310 because of the horse powere but would really like to have the features on the 270. The models with more hp with the features are out of my price range.
    Question: Will the horse power of the 310 make much difference? Or, will the features of the 270 be worth it over having more horse power?

2. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Even though it has more hp, the 270 is designed after a pro series saw and has a higher rpm range. When cutting with it there is not much difference between the two that I would consider picking the 310. I would go with the 270 and you should be happy.

3. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Eaither one will work. I wouldnt worry.

4. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

bigger is better.

5. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

My dealer carries the 280...Ive thought about that one

6. pcarlson1911

pcarlson1911 LawnSite Member

270 pro has higher compression and a higher chain speed. Great saw. Go with the 270PRO

7. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

deffinatly get a pro saw, there is a difference. i have a 310, its heavy, not real powerful, and just feels kinda cheap in my hands. but i am used to running pro models, so get a pro model for sure.

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Buy what you can afford I guess.

I bought an ms361 about mid year and it is one helluva saw compared to the old homelite. For firewood I would get a pro size saw especially if you plan on cutting several cords/year.

9. eaglejrl

eaglejrl LawnSite Member
    from 75681

Thanks for your input. I couldn't afford the pro model. I went with more horse power in the ms 310. I'm replacing an 031 Stihl that was 25 years old. Either one of these saws probably would have amazed me compared to what I have been used to. Thanks again for all of your help.