stihl ms170 help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by srh182, May 21, 2008.

1. srh182

srh182 LawnSite Member

i have a stihl ms170 chainsaw and i neet to take the clutch asm off but i cant seem to get it off is ther a tool or a trick i neet to get this thing off any help would be nice thinks

2. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

those things have reverse threads first off. the way i do it is to get a punch and give it a good wack on the shoe holder comes right off most times. never had to replace the clutch on one they are darn near bullet proof. are you sure thats your problem?

3. srh182

srh182 LawnSite Member

My problem is that itÂ’s not oiling any more I think that the pump is under the clutch

4. sawman65

no its not there its been a wile let me go look at one before i put my foot in my mouth. but its not there so do not take the clutch off.

5. srh182

srh182 LawnSite Member

ok thank let me know what you find

6. sawman65

ok heres the fun part the oil pump is located on the bottom of the saw. under the handle assy. you will have to pull the handle off to get it out. once you have it off look at the bottom and you will see what looks like a screw hole near the crankshaft on the clutch side. that is your pump.its about 1"long and dont look like any pump you have ever seen. get a screw that fits into the pump hole and screw it in grab the screw with a pair of vice grips and pull it out its in there tight so you will have to pull hard or tap the grips with a hammer. when you get the new one it will come with some instructions. it only goes in one way. the best thing to do would be to take it to a dealer. but if you think you can do it it wont hurt to try. hope this helps

7. srh182

srh182 LawnSite Member

i think the oil pump is missing or is this not the rits spot hear are some pics

HPIM0222.jpg

8. sawman65

it should be right there in front of that engine mounting bolt it has a small gear on the end that runs off the crank