Stihl MS170 Saw

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by exton_posh, Jul 25, 2008.

1. exton_posh

exton_posh LawnSite Member

Hi guys, this is my first post on here and i'm looking for some advice.
    My Stihl MS170 Saw starts fine as its always done but after about 10 seconds just stops, its been fine up to a week ago but now does this constantly. I've not refueled it between then and now or touched it at all. It's got fuel, oil etc in it and the plug looks fine..help!

2. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Ah ha, another Brit helping with the invasion of this site. There are some cool guys on here. Anyway, initially it seem like a few cob-webs in there. Try starting it but hold the choke for a few more seconds, this might clear them out. Failing that check the main jet setting, there are two setting (L) and (H) turn the H half a turn anti-clock and see what happens. There are a number of other things to check out but try this first.
    Good luck Phil

3. exton_posh

Cheers mate, thanks for the quick response...
    I'll try that and come back..:)

4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

the only way to get to the screws is to pull off the carb. the only carb adjustment you can do is the idle on that unit. dump you gas out and install new filter.

5. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Howdy, Welcome to Lawnsite, I know Phil is glad to see another Brit, he is such a gas on here. Have you taken the air cleaner cover off yet? My bet is a crack in a fuel line, it's so common on all Stihl equipment,new or old, I don't buy a replacement, I snip the old lines and run Tygon through the existing grommet in the tank, or slide a smaller diameter Tygon into the cracked line and hook it back up. Hope that helps, C'ya K

6. exton_posh

Cheers for that, i'll have a look tomorrow...strange thing is the engine just stops, no sputter, misfire etc. I first thought fuel but not so sure now, it's as if the ignition just cuts out. I'll check the fuel lines first though, sounds the cheaper option....Thanks all

7. exton_posh

Hi guys, just an update on my little saw...
    Followed advice on here and ended up taking off the carb, cleaning it with a can of carb clean and putting it all back together.
    It now runs fine so i can get the logs in for winter..
    Thanks for all the help:)