1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl MS290 Chain Saw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, May 7, 2005.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have any experience with this saw? I need to get a 16-18" bar and this saw looks ideal for me. It has a 56cc engine. This saw will not be used heavily and it will only be used for small stuff. I can't decide whether or not to go with Stihl or Husqvarna. I have had much better luck with my Husqvarna stuff rather than Stihl, but the dealer is bad.

Thanks... :)
  2. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

Small stuff? The MS 250 is lighter, less expensive, and just as dependable.
  3. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

I was always a Husky user until last fall. My father in law has a Stihl 029 (older version of 290) and he'd cut circles around my Husky. My saw was a bit smaller then his but when I used his I was amazed at the difference. So I bought the MS310 last fall...wow! This thing cuts like crazy, I'm a Stihl chainsaw guy from now on.

4. rockstate

rockstate LawnSite Member

The MS290 is an incredible saw we purchased 3 of them last fall and have cut several whole trees with them and they have never failed us. We have the 18" bars
  5. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at the MS250, but it was under the occasional use/homeowner section so I figured I should go with the midrange saws. I would think the midrange saws would be built better. There is only a $30 difference between the 250 and 290. Weight is not a concern.

6. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

i have used both stihl and husky by far husky is the best, we use a xp275 with a 28 inch bar to cut firewood phenominal saw
  7. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

Nope, not built any better. My experience around here is a $50 difference in price. The 029/MS290 is their best selling saw, though.
  8. Fresh Cut

Fresh Cut LawnSite Member

Try and find a used MS360 or 036. Maybe a new MS260. These are pro grade Stihls, in my opinion a much better saw. I have a 260 and a 440 and like them. My friends have a 250 and a 290, I noticed that their chains were loosening a lot more than mine, not sure if it's 'cause they are home-owner saws or not. I'm pretty sure that the pro engines are more efficient and powerful per CC as well.
  9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl is the first name and only name in chain saws. I have used them all. Stihl runs circles around everything else.
  10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I've had both a Sthil and a Husky saw both from same dealer. Parts for Sthil always on shelf, parts for Husky, you were renting a saw for a few days. If dealer support and parts are better for the Sthil go for it. Personally I liked the cut of the Husky better but I liked the way the Sthil was built better. Much easier to get the chain off and the Sthil, seemed to need less sharpening. Both are good brands.