Stihl MS290

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by Daily Lawn/Landscape, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Well I screwed up and left my chainsaw out by the wood pile at the shop Tuesday afternoon. Got to the shop this morning and when I opened up the door and noticed the empty case I went back to the wood pile. No chain saw. The thing that sucks is I'm at the back of the property and the only people that ever go back there are 2 people that take their dog to the back field to relieve themselves. They both state they never saw it. Also, another guy in the complex had his tool box stolen out of his truck on Tuesday night. I'm ready to hang someone by there nuts. What really sucks is, I had a job lined up for Monday to cut up a fallen tree. Would have been an easy $300 plus about a cord and a half of fire wood. I thought last year started off bad. I hopr this is not things to come.
    Stolen was a Stihl MS290 Serial #269131848
    Police report made and we have already hit most of the pawn shops in the area.
    Thanks for the vent time.

James

2. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Sorry to hear James, stuff like this just happens.

If you're stating the saw was left outside in plain view for 3 days it's no wonder. But honest folks just don't pay attention to stuff like that. People who are super worried about getting stuff stolen would steal themselves.

If the serial No. is on a sticker then it won't help much. Keep an eye on craiglist and ebay listing for your area. You never know.

3. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks!
    The saw was not in sight from the parking lot. It was sitting in between a stack of cut wood and 2 rows of split and stacked wood. The person had to walk back there amongst the wood pile/stack to see it.

4. Nick's Lawn Care

Nick's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

hmmm... i would keep an eye out on the neighbors....

i keep mine locked up good...

100_1415.jpg

100_1413.jpg

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

A crowbar in that eye in the wall and that stuff could be gone in seconds.

6. dmakowski

dmakowski LawnSite Member

Keep checking the pawn shops Paper craigslist ebay. that is how I got 3 trimmers and a blower back. Good Luck

7. Nick's Lawn Care

I would love to see you try it!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Its 5" in and its not budgin, i broke the hammer drill putting it in...

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not talking about pulling it out. I'm talking about opening up the eye and slipping off the cable.

It was a round-about way of telling you to use a closed eye.

9. Nick's Lawn Care

It is a closed eye..

10. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to use a cable like that to secure my pruner to the side of my open trailer a few years ago. I was at a job once and needed to use my pruner only to realize that I left the key at home. The jobsite wasnt close and was in an area I did not usually work in, so i was not about to leave and come back.

It took me less than a minute to "steal" my own pruner. Pair of bolt cutters, and wire cutters made short work of my kryptonite cable.

Bottom line, if somebody wants it, they are gonna get it. Period.....