1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

stihl multitask tools or edger and trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cntryboymc, Jun 14, 2003.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc LawnSite Member

any thoughts on stihl kombisystem?im considering something like this with an edger,adjustable hedge trimmerstring trimmer attatchments.or would it be better to buy each separately?which stihl models do you recommend for each?how much for each piece individually?
  2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

my thought is this. if the engine dies--then you have NO equipment. thats why i purchased seperate equipment
  3. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

if your a one man crew you'll only be limited by what ffemt said, but if you have a crew wont somebody be twiddling there thumbs sometime. oh yea, welcome to lawnsite
  4. tazz

tazz LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I have used the stihl interchangeable for 3 years with great success. helps with storage space and offers a good choice tools. I have the hedge trimmer chainsaw rototiller and edger attachments why pay for separate engines for each?
  5. Camelot Gardens Uk

Camelot Gardens Uk LawnSite Member

I have a Stihl FS55RT with string trimmer, hedgecutter, lawn edger. Had the engine and string trimmer stolen in March, also have Shindaiwa AH230 so went on with this. Now trashed Shindaiwa on chain link fence so have ordered new Stihl engine $300 as have lots of hedges booked.

Only fault I find is the bolt that secures the various attachments has to be replaced occasionally as the thread strips due to lots of change overs "commercially" would last longer for a home owner.
  6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have FS 85 RT and KM 85 R powerheads, using both interchangeably with my trimmer, edger, and 22" hedgetrimmer extensions, great and powerful machines. Love it. Try to save some bucks for pruner head later this year for cutting tall trees 'branches. I think you have 2 powerheads interchaneable you should be set for success.
    Once engine is hot, there is no stop cutting...