stihl oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chefdrp, Aug 22, 2006.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi guys. I just got a new Stihl 4 mix line trimmer and was told i should ony use Stihl 2 stroke oil? I cant use reg 2 stroke? Or is the guy just trying to make me spend MORE $$$$$$
  2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive been told the Stihl oil was made for Stihl products. I was also told by a dealer if you take it in under warranty and your not using stihl oil, they can void the warranty. I would think all oil is good as long as it isnt made for 2 cycle outboards. That oil isnt the same.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I havent seen where there is any difference in stihl oil. Its the same for the 2 and 4 stroke. I would think as long as the oil you are using is air cooled approved you would be ok. Someone correct me if Im wrong

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I would use what they recommend the cost surely isn't that much different? I have run Echo oil in all my units and have not had a cyclinder/ring failure in many many years.
  5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I use stihl oil just because it is easy to mix. Throw the bottle in and fill up 5 gallons and your done. I normally keep an eye out on ebay when somebody sells a case...
  6. lewdo

lewdo LawnSite Member

Don't worry it's ok. I had the same question I bought 2 FS100's this May and was worried. So far their running like champs.
  7. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

the owners manual says use Stihl oil or an equivelant oil. I have ran echo, John Deere and Stihl oil in all of these different brands with no problems. Echo oil is VERY sorry stuff and always makes my equipment run horribly. Since all my equipment is currently Stihl I am running strictly Stihl oil.
  8. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

they want you to use stohl oil cause it puts $ in their pocket! i use echo in my stihl products.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm considering ordering some of Amsoil's synth mix oil since it is sold by the quart, it is cheaper and supposedly better.

Only thing is measuring it out, so I keep the empty 2.5 bottles.
  10. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

YES - your dealer is full of bunk. Two stroke oil is two stroke oil - period. Yes, there is quality differences, however, this dealer is wrong. Tell him to start selling the best - Opti2 - and you will buy it by the case.:weightlifter: :usflag: