Stihl or echo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bmh1202, Jun 24, 2005.

1. bmh1202

bmh1202 LawnSite Member

Anybody have experience with either of these brands' combination units. I'm looking at both mainly for edger and hedge trimmer attachments. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have two Echo split boom and like them both. The newest one has artulating hedge trimmer and that is nice.

3. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have an echo pas 260 and it's great. I only have the edger, but I'm going to buy the articulating hedge trimmer soon.

4. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

i personally like sthil equipment, but i do have a 260 echo, it has more cc;s then sthil..need it with the power pruner

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

All the echo equipment I bought few years back are still going strong. However, bought a edger and 650 BP blower few months back and both have already had carbs. replaced. I personally will change to another brand from here on. I feel like their quality has gone way down.

6. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I don't have any experience with either split boom units, but I do have both engines on simmilar units. In the end, they are both similiar on power, the Stihl has the low end torque you can't get on normal 2 stoke units, the echo has the high end that you are used to in 2 cycle. I would go with the dealer that treats you the best. That's what I did. Couldn't be happier with my Stihl FS 110. Can't go wrong with Echo either though, go with the best dealer................

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I like Stihl.

But I do have Echo as well.

I'm just not hearing good stuff on the new Echo's.

8. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

Just remember Echo dosn't build the carbs, they are either zama or walbro. I personally would not change brands due to a carb problem.

9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Whether they built the carb or not, its still on their equipment and they are responsible. When I have 2 new pieces of equipment that have the same problem and were in the shop for 2 weeks, doesnt give me a good feeling. The reason I purchased them is our sthil dealer is one of the biggest jerks you will ever meet. I tried the sthil first and was going to buy until was treated very rude by the owner and shop manager. Most of our lco have quit doing biz with him, I dont know how he is staying open his reputation is so bad.

10. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I have all stihl because the dealer is close by. Very reliable but I find everything I own from them to be heavy. I have insight on echo.