1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl or Echo

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CWRSNY, Jun 8, 2006.

CWRSNY LawnSite Member

If any of you were in the line trimmer market would you go for Stihl or Echo? Which is the perfered machine??
  2. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

As the owner of both my stihl has always been hit or miss on starting or running. I have the stihl fs80, 85 and a hedge trimmer. All three has cost me time on not running. So far my echo has run perfect.
  3. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

My dad has had an Echo (model #..?????) and I have a Stihl FS76, both units are several years old, both start every time and run great.
    To me your question is like asking between Carhartt, Wrangler or Lee jeans, all are good!

That being said I have a Stihl because I'm getting everything (chainsaws, polesaw, blower, weedeater) one brand from the same dealer. I wouldn't go with anythgin other than a Stihl chainsaw and since I'm a one brand man I'll go with Stihl on everything else.
  4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

mine are the other way around... my echo's never start... the trimmers atleast... my 751 starts first pull.
  5. sbc1971

sbc1971 LawnSite Member

My Echo's head keeps falling off when I try to bump it.It took me forever to get it to run correctly.I could'nt be more unhappy with this POS.I was told by some friends to get a Stihl, I wish I would have.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Both are very good brands. I prefer the Echo because they are still a straight 2 stroke engine and they have carb adjustment to tune for weather. The 230 or 261 are excellent choices. Concerning the post on the heads....needs to be tightened properly. Very few of these unit start without some trouble. And as they get older some get worse. Echo is very easy to work on also...we have a bunch of them.
  7. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Both are very good trimmers, but I prefer Echo! Our Echo dealer is very good to work with. Watch out though, with Home Depot selling Echo now, some dealers are dropping them ! And last I checked, Home Depot didn't do repair work!
  8. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

use a stihl and echo trimmer, i love the echo. the stihl runs rough and stalls, also it is hard to start and pull.
  9. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I have Stihl everything, trimmers, blowers, chainsaw, hedgetrimmer, multitool. Decision was made based only on the dealer. He's close and easy to work with. The Echo dealer is neither. I like the orange color...what can I say.
  10. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a Stihl fs90 to replace an Echo SRM260 that was less than a year old. I have always been big on Echo cause I have very few problems.

I was leary of the 4 cycle Stihl, but it cranks on the first pull in the morning. It is a bit of a gas hog, but I am glad I bought it..