stihl or echo ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by edgeman2003, Apr 20, 2008.

1. edgeman2003

edgeman2003 LawnSite Member
    from md

stihl or echo, which is going to hold up better over the long run? which model to look for in both for edger and trimmer?

2. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

I use both Stihl and Echo. I like both brands but I think Echo is alot cheaper in price and holds up in commerical use. I"ve bought the Echo's at Home Depot and the price was very fair, plus Echo has a good commerical use warranty. I've used Stihl for over 25 years. Their parts are more expensive and always have been!

3. edgeman2003

from md

which echo model to get fot the trimmer and edger?

4. jhakarter

jhakarter LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Get a PAS 265 I believe. Youll want the biggest thing out there for edging. I just baught a pas265 this last week with a edger and trimmer attachements. I have only used the edger because I have a stihl trimmer so theres no use right now to switch the ends, but the edger has worked wonderful so far!

5. tinkz71

tinkz71 LawnSite Member

I have an echo blower PB 650 and also echo trimmer a 261T. Both are incrediable no problems been using for 4 years. Plus Im not to big on the 4mix stihls its hard to beat a 2stroke.

6. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an Echo blower and trimmer. Seems like very nice equipment and a lot of guys i see around here use Echo. I have also worked at a local hardware store that sells and services a full line of Stihl products, so I've seen both sides. Each has its pros and cons.

In my spare time, I am a volunteer firefighter, and on 2 of our pumpers, we have Echo chainsaws, and on our 3rd pumper and on our rescue, we have Stihl saws. the Stihl saws are FAR superior to the Echos IMO, but in terms of everything else, I like the Echo. proven reliability, good service, and price thats pretty hard to beat for what you get.

7. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo. I was on a Stihl kick for a while but hate the 4 stroke.

8. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

get an echo srm230. very powerful and run well.

9. edgeman2003

from md

I can get echo trimmer srm-251E @ $199.95. It has the 25.4cc power boost vortex engine, echomatic pro trimmer head, heavy-duuty cable drive. Is this a good deal? I know at home depot the medium-duty srm-210 trimmer cost $219.99 with a 21.2cc engine

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Stihl vs Echo, seems to be the eternal question on L.S.:)