Stihl or Husky Chain Saw?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Steve1, Jan 11, 2005.

Which Chain Saw would you buy? Husky or Stihl?

Poll closed Feb 10, 2005.
  1. I would buy the Husqvarna.

21 vote(s)
  2. I would buy the Stihl.

51 vote(s)
  3. I wouldn't buy either one - I would buy something different.

4 vote(s)
  4. Either one - they're both great.

17 vote(s)
  1. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm about to buy a new chain saw. Looking at Husky's and Stihls, something with a 16" or 18" bar for general work. Both look like awesome machines.

Which brand would you buy? I'm buying this week so I appreciate any input.
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I've owned both brands. Both are good but here Husky parts take longer to get. The Huskys seem to cut better and vibrate less but the chains was easier to get off on the Sthils due to the way the drive sprocket is made. The newer models have had some improvements over the ones I bought 7 years ago. See if you can't demo a couple models first. Guy I bought mine from had a log out in back of his shop that you could try his demo saws on. Personal preference really.
  3. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Do a search! There was a nice thread within the last month on these saws!!
  4. Steve1

I did - but nothing showed up (?) regarding these two brands in particular. Do you have a link?
  5. saw man

from utah

Take some of that with a grain of salt! Some of those guys just write down crap and dont know what they are sayin!!

Get models of the machines you like and ask about a comparison.

There are more in the search ~ just type in "chainsaw" and those saws will be in there for sure!!
  6. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl is really the only way to go. We have both a Husqvarna 350 and a Stihl 036 and we use the Husqvarna on most everything but oak. It seems to lack power to do oak. That's when we break out the 036, it is unstoppable in oak and hickory.
  7. Steve1

Ahh... I didn't type "Chainsaw" (as in one word), I typed in Chain Saw. Doing it as one word opened up a lot more threads. Thanks.
  8. saw man

from utah

Well since the 350 and the 036 are not even in the came class I can understand why!

Like I said, find two comparible models, ie. power, and then post them to see what people like.

What do you want to spend?
  9. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I went through the same process you are last summer. My conclusion: both are reputed to be very good chainsaws.

I decided on Stihl due to lack of Husqy dealers in my area; plus I like the dealer that sells Stihl. My choice was the MS390. Its nice and powerful, runs great. . .

My only complaint is that if it gets into ANY dirt or the log is old and powdery the nose sprocket will STOP the chain, requiring me to take it apart and free the sprocket. The Stihl mechanic insisted that any saw will do the same and to keep it out of the dirt (which by the way, I'm fairly seasoned on how to operate a chainsaw, am fully aware of what dirt does to a chain and saw, and know how to keep a chain sharp), but that's funny because even my cheap old Poulan has NEVER done this. Perhaps it is just because the saw is so precise. . .I dunno. But this saw is the first I've ever had do this. FYI, I even changed out the bar and chain and have the same problem.

Besides this small issue, I couldn't ask for a better saw.
  10. Steve1

I want to spend around $350 or less if possible.