1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl or Kawasaki?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikeklein, Aug 29, 2003.

1. mikeklein

mikeklein LawnSite Member

Im going to buy a new trimmer and handheld blower this week,my trimmer is a 3yr old poulan pro from when I first started,still runs and starts good but lacks power,plus really cheap trimmer head.this is my second homelite blower,had to return 1st one,know this one is having same problem.works ok for about the first 3 or 4 yards,then it gets hard to start,and when I put it on full open choke and full blower speed,it dies,sometimes even on low speed it will loose power to the point that its barely running.I have heard these were fairly good blowers considering the brand.makes me wonder if i am doing something wrong,pump primer 6-8 times pull and let run for 30 seconds on half choke then move to full choke.I am probably going to buy a stihl FS 85 trimmer.I have heard they have trouble starting,but thats what everybody uses locally.I looked at stihl blowers but there BG55 is only capable of 140mph.My homelite blows at 200mph(when it is working.)Anybody use kawasaki handheld stuff?Ive heard they are very light,dont know anybody that has one though.I have about $500. to play with.Thanks for the help.
  2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Do you have good dealer support for both products?
    This should be one of the deciding factors for you.
    Other than that they are both good products
  3. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

i use kawasaki trimmers and am very pleased, i formerly used shindaiwas but after theft ect. i switched to kawasakis, they are very comfortable and a fraction of the weit as others, with plenty of power to boot imo.

from AL

Kaw. Over Stihl By a Mile.

Have had some problems starting the Kaw's in real Hot, Humid Weather but Nothing compared to my Stihl 85's.

They are Also Nicely Balanced w/ the Offset Handle.

5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

"pump primer 6-8 times pull and let run for 30 seconds on half choke then move to full choke"

Just clarifying this is what you said?

After you start the machine you open the choke. Not run it on full choke.
  6. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I have Kawasakis Husqvarnas and would never, ever, buy another Stihl product again. Too hard to start and the carbs fall apart right after the warranty period is up. Stihl is JUNK!
  7. mikeklein

mikeklein LawnSite Member

GLAN,I meant to say after 30 seconds,I move to full open choke.Sorry for the error.This is EXACTLY what it says to do in the manual.It makes me so mad that I wasted time and money on homeowner junk,know Im stuck with a crappy homelite that will never get used again.The thing only cost me like $90.but I learned my lesson.Thanks for all the suggestions.I ended up buying a Stihl BG85,it has been great.We have a really good Stihl dealer around here(Crescent Springs Hardware)I also bought my Exmark there.support couldnt be better from Mark and the guys.
  8. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

ive researched alot about the kawasakis and they seem to be very light and very powerful.
  9. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

if im not mistaken i thought that redmax uses kawi engines, if thats true then i can say that they are great ive been using redmax for a while and had no problems.i receintly bought a fs85 stihl to use as an extended hedge trimmer and so far i like it as well, although is sometimes stalls when its at an idle but i think if i just turn up the idle a little it will be fine.
  10. tralfaz

tralfaz LawnSite Member

I've had two Kawasaki KBL26A's. I liked the lightness and power but both did not last very long.