Stihl or RedMax backpack blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coolbrze, May 10, 2008.

1. coolbrze

coolbrze LawnSite Member

I've been in the market for a new backpack blower for some time and have narrowed it down to Stihl or RedMax - from what I've seen they seem to be the best on the market for commercial grade backpack blowers. I've already got a Stihl 380 D but want another backpack blower to add to the collection. What make/model would you recommend?

2. homemower

homemower LawnSite Member
    from Ray,Mi

Both blowers are very good, both have chrome lined sleeves for longer life, both start very well although the Red Max just slightly better. Both deliver about the same amount of performance per dollar. The Red Max does have a choke and a primer bulb, this really helps starting when sitting for long periods of time. The only real difference is the weight and comfort of wearing one. You may well want to think about that and the number of spare parts you have to carry, i.e. spark plugs, Dollar for dollar you can't go wrong with either one. I have both and wouldn't't trade either one for anything else.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with a stihl. Last year my b-law was using red-max, and they switched to the double barrel carb for emission standards. You find that same carb on most 2 cycle equipment now. After the blower had been heated up, it had re-starting and power issues. My craftsman blower has the same carb and when hot it acted like it had an air lock, and would sputter just the same as a red-max. I don't know if red-max has addressed this issue or not this year.

Stihl= awesome. I love the four-mix they use. The motor is just a bit heavier but you get awesome power, and they tend to run a little more quieter. The motor held up with some crazy abuse we gave them.

I don't use a blower quit as often as a lot of guys for my biz, but as soon as I can, stihl all the way.

4. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I'll add in another vote for Stihl, I love the power of my 4Mix machines. Go with the Stihl BR600 for your next blower coolbrze.

5. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

ive had both and loved them. i stayed w/ stihl (though i think my redmax was more powerful) b/c of a great stihl dealer.

6. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

to me the redmax 7001's we run are perfect , powerful and ruggedly built .
    plus zero maintenance and easy starting / smoothly running .
    between the 7000 and 7001 (seems like same machine) weve been running
    for around 5 years neither have missed a beat with 2 guys doing just over a 100 lawns per week . and before our current machines we ran redmax blowers and they were also great .

and ive never looked but i read someone here say they use them with the throttle on tube , well ive never seen them and have only used the kind with the throttle on the side handle which pivots into up or down posistion and its an excellent design imo .

7. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Go with the BR600, great blower, plenty of power and lightweight.

8. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

Either brand will serve you well. Both Redmax and Stihl build excellent products, and also check out the Husqvarna blowers if you are considerring Redmax as they are essentially the Redmax units painted orange (husky owns redmax)with a slightly longer tube and slightly different backplate.

9. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

RedMax all the way, 7001 series ! Stihl are a little more comfortable on the back but not as powerful. They also seem to run quieter, though I never had them at the same time.

10. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

Love my Br550.