1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl Or Redmax????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Green Barber, May 2, 2008.

1. The Green Barber

The Green Barber LawnSite Member

Please help me choose RedMax or stihl. I'm looking at the Stihl back pack blower Br600, line trimmer fs130, and stihl hand held blower bg55
    Prices as follows:
    Br600- $397.41
    Line trimmer Fs130-$344.95
    Hand held blower Bg55- $129.95

Red Max Prices as Follows:

Back Back Blower EBZ8001RH- $494.99
    Hand held Blower EBZ2601- $197.99
    Line Trimmer BCZ2401S- $251.99

Including tax there is about $68.00 difference in price.
    What package should I take?
  2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I personally like stihl products, but yet I have never tried the Red Max stuff yet. You are really going to just get a bunch of opinions from everyone. I have had good luck with my stihl equipment for many years and have had very little down time with any of them.
  3. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the Stihl. Although many people love Redmax, I have had nothing but problems with their equipment (except for non strata charged).
  4. btnj47

btnj47 LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 redmax 8001 bp blowers never had a problem in 3 yrs i also have a stihl bg85 hand held blower. I have found that is the best combo imo. I have a redmax 2600 line trimmer which is great and a km 110 kombi and i will find out how that works this weekend.
  5. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

We have always had Stihl, they are hard to beat. We have a redmax backpack, but we like our 2 BR600's better. We still use a FS 250 brushcutter that is pushing 11 years of hard service, runs great. And out of our other 3 Stihl trimmers only 1 has been down and that was operator error, (stupid employees).
  6. mowcrazy

mowcrazy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a redmax 7000 blower. It is a pretty good blower i must say but like others have said above i have not used stihl blowers before. Now for the String trimmers I definetley have an opinion. A lot of my mowing is done in cemeterys. With that said I have tried out just about every string trimmer there is to offer! Echo, stihl, makita, husqvarna, redmax, you name it ive tried it if it is commercial grade. When it comes to echo trimmers I would offend many owners if i really told you what i thought of them. I would rather own a pair of scissors! I bought a stihl trimmer last year as a back up. It probably has approx. 25-30 hours on it and is now back at the john deer dealership because it wont start. the last one i owned I slammed in the middle of a blacktop parking lot cause the pos wouldnt bumpfeed correctly EVER!! Husqvarnas weedeaters are heavy but hold on tight cause you can just about cut down a tree with one. I own a 323L model and other than it being a little heavy it is a pretty good trimmer. now for the trimmer that I am absolutely in love with. I own 3 of the redmax tr2300's and they are by far the best trimmer that I have ever ran hands down. It only weighs 9.5 pounds and is the most balanced smooth trimmer i have ever used. Not to mention that it holds an absolute ton of string so less stopping to fill up with string. This model is not stato charged. It still has the dirty carb as they call it. It is no power house by any means but very rarely am I burning down ditches or trimming high grass. Most of the time it is just weekly trimmed grass and as you all know most of the time you don't need a ton of power anyways. The only thing that I have noticed about this great little trimmer is that it doesnt like 105 grade string. It doesnt feed very well with that heavy of string so i run 095 string with it and it feeds fine. Not trying to knock any of the other makes and models but I weed eat a he11 of a lot more the average lawn care guy spending around 20 hours or more trimming at just my cemetery contracts. If you don't need a ton of power and just looking for a good LIGHTWEIGHT commercial trimmer, the redmax tr2300 has my vote when it comes to trimmers!!!
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I agree with the above post. Get a Redmax! I have a Redmax BC3000 trimmer. It's almost as powerfull as my Shindaiwa T-270 (they don't make them anymore).
  8. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Stihl is very very good price. I prefer Redmax but the Stihl price is very good. The cheapest I seen BR600 and FS130 were $379 each, so you are the first one to beat my prices. Normally I say Redmax, in your case, don't know!!! You save enough to buy backups. I better not say too much before I have to dug down again.:laughing::laughing::laughing:
  9. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Go with the Stihl package, you'll be happy.
  10. Yater

Yater LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up a customer return ebz7001 today for $419. The guy bought it and didn't like the left side controls. He brought it back the next day for an exchange. I got it "as new" with full warranty. This thing blows the bark off trees...seriously.