1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl or RedMax

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hammer27, May 9, 2004.

1. hammer27

hammer27 LawnSite Member

After being away from the lawn business for several years I'm getting back in it. When I was in it before I used all Stihl but seems like a lot of folks like RedMax equipment. I've decided on a EB7001 blower but need some straight forward advice on a trimmer. If I get a Stihl it will be a FS85 but don't know what model is comprable on RedMax's line. Could you guys that have/had both give me your opions on these trimmers and tell me your choice?
  2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Redmax and Stihl trimmers are a bit heavier than others. I am very pleased with the power and adgility of the Kawasaki KBL26A.
  3. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Ive heard lots of good about the Red Max EB7001 at present time I have 2 Sthil BR400's but oddly enough I had a chance to try a EB7001 and was kinda disappointed on its power after reading so much good I expected it to really out perform the BR400 but imop the two blowers are comparable in performance while the Red Max is 85 dollars more. At this time I am not sure which Ill buy next there both good but on the positive side for Stihl there are lots of dealers in the area as opposed to Redmax which has two local dealers, to me a good parts source is as important as performance....
  4. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I've been working at a golf course for years and all we ever ran there was the FS85. They are a tremendous weed whacker but when I started my own business I went wit RedMax. I have never own a FS85 but i've used them for many hours a day for years. Proformance wise, they are awesome and maintenance I can't say because I didn't maintain the equipment but I never needed to bring one in the shop for anything. Now i'm running Redmax BCZ2600s. I like it a lot. I went with redmax because I wanted a change. I haven't had any problems with it and it has power that is equal or better then the FS85. The only think I will say I liked better about the FS is the way the line was strung on it. But I think they are both fantastic weed whackers so go with whatever feel right. If you like things that are orange go with sthil if you want something that matches your blower, go with redmax.
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Have you tried the FS 110? I belive so far I have used about 1/2 tank to a full tank in the 85. As for red max never ran one. I also like the Husqvarna 326LX. It is lighter and the one I use for most of my day to day jobs and there is plenty of power in the etech 2. Good luck.
  6. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Oh duh this thread is about trimmers sorry must have read too fast, any way I have 4 Remax trimmers two of which are of the some what new Strato line the first Strato was so unreliable to me for the first year that the dealer sold me another one at cost Redmax has been good to me with the exception of the one strato it was indeed a Lemon (nothing worse than stopping work to go get parts for a new trimmer) again imop a good dealer network is important and Redmax is way behind in local dealers.....
  7. Jimmyed

Jimmyed LawnSite Member
    from IN

Ive got probably 20 FS110 both bike and loop handle trimmers out with pro's. Got some sold to home owners also. Had only one in the shop, simple valve adjustment and it was on its way. The HT101 pole saw with the 4mix engine has been selling as good or better than the old HT75 trimmer.

I mow a large shopping center once a week and its nice to run the FS110 on it. Before with the FS85 I would get halfway across the lot and run out of gas. Took 20-25 minutes to fuel up again. I can run the FS110 damn near all the way back to the truck before I need fuel.
  8. hammer27

hammer27 LawnSite Member

I appreciate all your help. I've been out of the loop for a while and it shows. Sounds like I'll try a couple FS110's. I'm calling tomorrow to get some estimates. Whats a good deal/price on a FS110 loop? I had a couple BR400's before 420 was out there and was very happy with them but I've heard the RM eb7001 is quite a bit stronger. How do these blowers compare?
  9. lowmiler

lowmiler LawnSite Member

Shindaiwa or RedMax. I have the BCZ2600s and the T260. Both are comparable in power. They are both a mile ahead of the other brands. I prefer the RedMax. But would buy Shindaiwa just as easy.
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I run Stihl trimmers, edgers, hedge trimmers, chainsaws, etc.
    I do own a Stihl blower.
    I RUN Redmax 7001 blowers only though.