Stihl or Shindaiwa

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by tannerman, Jul 2, 2004.

1. tannerman

tannerman LawnSite Member
    from 37932

which chainsaw is better, Shindaiwa or Stihl? I have a homelite, and am tired of needing a stronger, more reliable saw. I cut mostly for my own personal firewood, and some for friends and family. I would like something that would easily handle a 20" bar. I found the prices for the stihl 290 farm boss @ $339.00, and the stihl 310 Farmboss @ about $369.00. I know these are good saws, I heard Shindaiwa's are supposed to be comparable, but can't get much info on them as pricing and/or reliability goes anyway. Anyone have an opinion on which is better, or how much shindaiwa is?
  2. kkat

kkat LawnSite Member

I have always used stihl and tried a shin 488 a friend of mine uses ( he uses nothing but shin) I now have a shin chain saw, and will get other shin eguipment when my others wear out
  3. Ben UK

Ben UK LawnSite Member

I have used Stihl extensively, throughout my time as an Army engineer. I have found the more commercial i.e larger ones very reliable and smooth running. The homeowner ones i.e smaller/cheaper tend to be more 'plasticy' and a little flimsy - the top covers and choke/switch mechanism.

Haven't used a shin but i know they have a reputation for being powerful and well priced.

Not sure if this helps but have always found that taking good care of chainsaws always pays devidends in extending their life - whatever their make.
  4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

stihl chainsaw but shiny string timmers
  5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

6. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

I have a Husqvarna chainsaw that I bought two years ago when we had two maples and a 80 foot tulip fall after a storm. What a saw. The Husqvarma never ever quit and went as long as I could. I have heard that Stihl chainsaws are really good. Just wanted to offer another point of view.
  7. Sammyv

Sammyv LawnSite Member

Have you considered a Husqvarna? I have the 55 Rancher with 20 inch bar. It is 5 years old, and always starts on the 2nd pull. We had a huge ice storm here three years ago, and I cut about 10 cords of wood in a couple of weeks with the Husky. Outside of that one huge job, I do about the same amount of cutting that you describe.

The main concern with any homeowner who is buying a commercial quality saw should be local dealer support and parts availability, not which of the top 4 or 5 brands available to purchase. If you are like most of us, you will never wear out a good, commercial quality chainsaw. I pass my dealer's shop going to and coming from work every day, and he always has everything that I need in stock. That is more important to me than which brand of equipment that he sold to me. Finally, if the dealer of your choice carries several brands, buy the one that he recommends for your particular needs, and you will probably be delighted with your decision.

Finally, I agree with everything that Ben UK says, above.