1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl people-opinions please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by qwaller, Mar 22, 2008.

1. qwaller

qwaller LawnSite Member

Looking for light powerful and balanced ,grass only. Right now looking at the FS80 or FS100R. What do you guys think of these two?

TYCINC LawnSite Member

We used the FS80's for the last 10 years or so until the 4-mix 100/110's came out. We've since switched to the latter.
  3. Bluestem

Bluestem LawnSite Member

I've always used the FS80s. They have always performed well - rugged and trouble free from my experience.
  4. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Stay with FS80.
  5. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I am now only running the Stihl FS250R's, although you may think it's overkill, we have found with the extra power, it saves time & fuel on all our jobs. Best of all it's not going to be affected by the EPA's Tier II 2-stroke emission laws, no valve's will be added to the FS250R engine. I would recommend it over all other FS models best investment.
  6. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

i use the fs110-100 both are great never used a fs 80 with the price close i go for the bigger whacker.
  7. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Agree!! Too heavy, use a strap. Should be lot more reliable.
  8. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

If you are not going to be using attachments of any kind and if your dealer has one in stock, go with the FS100 RX. If you plan on using attachments go with a Stihl Kombi unit and the KM110 R. Also you could look at the FS90, you can change gearboxes on this model, but if you wan to switch easily go with the KM110 R.
  9. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

Keep in mind the 100RX can't use anything but a string head or polycut head. As far as weight goes the 80 and 100 are almost the same and the 100 has a bit more power but doesn't rev up as quickly as the 80. FS80's won't be around too much longer cause they eat up the largest chunk of Stihl's EPA credits....there's a reason they're a stink machine, they put out more crap into the air than the larger FS250 does, and 5 times more than the FS/KM100/110 powerhead
  10. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Zoo, That's what I said about the 100 RX. If you are not going to run attachment of any kind go with it, If not then you have the Kombi or the FS90.

Zoo, How much longer do you think Stihl will keep the FS80 around?