stihl pole saw problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by wahlturfcare, Oct 13, 2007.

1. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

i have a stihl HT 75 pole saw that keeps dieing even after i rebuilt the carb and a new plug. I have the keep it full throttle and feather between full choke and no choke?
    What else can i do short of throwing it in the garbage?

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Ummm... I'll vote "Take it to a Stihl dealer for service" Failing that, throw it in the garbage.

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

What was it doing that made you rebuild the carb and replace the plug? You may be going down the wrong track? Maybe not?

4. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

check fuel filter in tank and fuel line sometimes over time the will get holes in them

5. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

I also vote for the fuel filter. Very easy to check. Just remove it and run the gear to see if the problem goes away. If it does, buy a new filter.

6. Scandy14

Scandy14 LawnSite Member

Just a thought, you may have a plugged spark arrester screen in the muffler.

7. CarterKraft

CarterKraft LawnSite Senior Member

one more guess.

Leaking, worn crankshaft seals.

Smear heavy grease around them and see how it runs.

Many people don't even know that these seals can cause problems and it's been so long since I worked on air cooled stuff I almost forgot as well.

8. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Well, if you are going to throw it away, just send it down to me. I would like to have one. Just kiddin. Will it run wide open without using the choke? Why did you rebuild the carb?