Stihl PowerSweep VS. Stihl BR400

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Esby, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious if anyone here has tried Stihl's PowerSweep. Looks much like a trimmer with a rotary, rubber sweeper on the end. I dont know about you, but wouldn't a backpack blower do just as good, if not better job. I feel as if the PowerSweep would damage the turf if used to "get small pebbles, mulch, and caked dirt off turf"(their advertisement states). A backpack blower however doesn't come in "contact" with the turf. Seems like a waste of money to me, but I haven't tried one or seen one in action. Anyone out there have any experience with the Stihl PowerSweep?

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/KW85.html

http://www.stihlusa.com/blowers/BR420.html

2. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

If you try it on gravel that was left from snow plowers on the lawn, you will see just how well they work. :)

3. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I am familiar with the power sweep, but have not bought one yet.

As Sammy said you would need the right type accounts for this to be necessary. Stones, powder snow, caked dirt on roads (heavy debris). I am sure there are some areas like this accross the country where this tool would be an excellent item to have on the truck, but for most of us that just blow grass clippings the backpacks are fine.

Jim

4. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I hear ya, until I come across an extreme case I'll stick to my BR400.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

These things are unbelievable. I originally bought one for cleaning up ditches in the spring, (they are the ULTIMATE tool for that) and I've found so many other uses as well, that I highly recommend them. For instance, sweeping the heavy gutter gravel for an initial edging, or if you have ever had to pick up fruit, such as apples, pears, or anything of this sort, there is nothing better. Even if the fruit is half (or all) rotted, this thing works great. You can just push it right up into piles, onto a shovel or tarp, or I even read of someone using a small front loader. For gravel in ditches, I used to rake it down to the bottom of the ditch, push it into small piles, then use a flat shovel to toss it back up onto the shoulder. Now, I just push it UP the ditch with one stroke for each width, just like a broom. For longer ditches, I just turn it over, angle it a little bit, and walk lengthwise of the ditch, pulling it along and having a plowing effect on the gravel. About as fast as you can walk, it sweeps. Yes, occasionally a stone will pop out, and you have to retrieve it, but that's not bad for the time and effort saved. No blower can touch this kind of performance for material of this sort. Also, to answert the question. "Does it tear up turf?" The answer is no, not at all. When I first saw these things, I thought they were a gimmick. But, after I saw one in action, I knew that with the amount of ditch I have to do every year, I had to have one. What I did, was bought the either the powersweep with the stickedger attachment (FS85) or vice-versa. Two tools for the same power unit.;)