1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

stihl problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The mayor, Jul 27, 2005.

1. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

Am I the only one that has problems with stihl. I have 2 string trimmers and 1 hedge trimmer. Sometimes they start sometimes not. This is all newer equipment. I change plugs, oil brands. I am glad I have some old homelite and weedeater equipment for a backup. At least that runs. Time for a new brand. Sorry to vent but I have blisters from pulling on this crap.
  2. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I used to work for a guy who had a stihl fs80r. Sometimes for no reason it would stop running. It had gas and everything. It was just weird. Nothing like that from my redmax bcz2600s. That thing is awsome!
  3. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Stilhl blowers, FS85 trimmers, FS280K brushcutter, an 026 and an 036 chainsaw. I use the Stihl oil only, mixed at 50:1 with regular unleaded fuel, and I am extremely careful about keeping dirt out of the tanks. All spark arrestor screens have been removed from the exhaust - very important. Cold, they always seem to take 4 to 5 pulls to start - can be annoying. Warm, they start on the first or second pull. No issues at all with them stalling once running. The FS280K is the very best starter/runner of them all!

No problems here with the Stihl equipment.

4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I use nearly exclusively Stihl saws. My 024 starts with 5 pulls cold, 2 hot, and runs like a top. you might have some kind of fuel related issue with your machines, probably due to fixed jet carbs, which I personally hate.
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Same here. Cold you need to warm them up. I am converting to the 4mix witch i am impressed with for now. i just bought a fx100rx and it has alot of power and it starts faster.

6. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I started out on the stihl oil. Could be the gas but everything else runs on it. If it's a good day 5 pulls cold,if bad not start at all. I took the 1 of the fs80's to the dealer. They called said everything tuned up and up to snuff. Went in to pick it up. Asked them to start it. Not a fart out of it. That was a repair charge I didn't have to pay for.
  7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I run all kawasaki if it dont start in 2 pulls something is wrong 9 times out off ten my guys don't turn the switch on.
  8. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

I have an fs250 (I believe) 40cc wacker. Not sure why but unless I wait about 15-20 minutes between uses, can be VERY tricky to start, if not occasionally impossible. My bro bought one that was BS. Had lots of starting, running problems. Some of my other stihls have been perfect. My one hedge trimmer will cut out if tilted to the side with gas tank 1/3 full. Stupid problem.

Bottom Line: Stihls directly from the dealer are NOT guaranteed to start acceptably. Echos are almost a 100% guarantee to start but running can be a problem. Those are the only two brands I and my buddies have experience with.

I am looking forward to trying redmaxes next round of equipment.
  9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

10. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

i have a fs 85 which had not been cranked in 2 yrs (literally). i put new fuel and pushed the prime bulb a few times. it cranked on the 5th pull, sputtered and died. i turned the choke off and pulled again and it runs like a top. i also have a 026 and a 310 saw. the 026 has had the dog squeeze run out of it (probably 300-400 hrs of run time) since it was new in '98 (?) clearing south georgia woods for pine straw production and it is always ready. 4 or 5 pulls cold and 1-2 when hot. the 310 has maybe 35 hrs and it is a 4-5 pull to crank machine when cold. make sure the gas is fresh. this seems to be the very important. i don't use any special oil (usually husq or penns-oil), but i do use premium fuel. fwiw.
    i almost forgot that i have a small stihl saw that has a hedge trimmer head. i was bought from a municipal auction and is used 2-3'x/yr. it is a little harder to start, but it neve takes more than maybe 10 pulls.