Stihl Recoil Assemblies

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jan 6, 2007.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

In the past, when the pull rope snapped on a piece of Stihl equipment, I have always just replaced the entire recoil assembly, even though there was nothing wrong with the spring, etc. It's just that I once tried to replace only the rope years ago and it was a nightmare.

I am paying over $45 for the recoil assembly on backpack blowers every time a rope breaks and the trimmers and edgers are not cheap either.

Is there some special tool or is trick to replacing these ropes when they break, such that you don't have to replace the entire assembly?

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, you can replace the pull rope, just like any other recoil starter.

But, be aware of the size of the rope. Last Winter, my Stihl dealer gave to me a replacement rope for my Stihl FS-85. I had a terrible time getting it installed. And, then the recoil didn't work, too crowded for the rope.

After some further investigation, I learned they gave me the wrong sized rope. I think they gave me #4, when a #3 1/2 should have been used. When I went to the local hardware store that does some mower maintenance work, and bought a #3 1/2, I had it intalled quickly and easily, and it works fine.

When the dealer told me "this is what we use," they were plain wrong! It could NOT have been the one they used. I think they were out of the right size, and didn't have the courage to tell me they didn't have any right sized starter rope.
  3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

The correct rope is important also the length of rope is very important usually around 30-31 inches of rope(for2 cycle) so that you don't pull past the center point of the spring and brake the spring. If your rope broke then the spring tension is already released it should not pop out at you when you remove the spool(but be careful wear safety glasses) pre wrap your spool with the new rope in the direction the old rope came off in(normally counter clockwise), most spools have a notch in them this is a good place to stick the excess you will need for the handle. Spray some Fluid film on the spring(free plug:) ) and drop the spool down on the spring that is resting in the housing until it sits flush and install the hold down screw or clip so the spool does not jump back out at you. Now take the excess rope end and run it out through the recoil housing opening and install your handle. If your recoil has slack then you need to put one or two winds in the spring, you can do this by pulling the rope back up through that notch in the spool and pulling it around counter clockwise once or twice. I hope my explanation helps :)
  4. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

do you have the left over parts from your replacements?