Stihl SG-20 backpack sprayer leaking ...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fresh_Cut, May 5, 2011.

1. Fresh_Cut

Fresh_Cut LawnSite Senior Member

since I bought it new. I don't know what it is. It's coming from the brass pump tube, it's getting past the plunger and being pulled up and overflowing.

This leads to more and more leakage the longer I use it at a time. I end up with a large wet spot on my back, this last time I was spraying for a good about of time, maybe 30 min., and my whole back was wet, my pants were wet as well.

I've taken it to the dealer I bought it from once, and they inspected it and gave it an "OK", but they said that if they did anything above inspecting it that it would cost me shop labor. I bought the thing last September and I know it came with a warranty, what should I do?

I need a sprayer and this is supposed to be the best on the market, that's why I paid so much for it. But it seems as if I'm having a leakage problem that no one else with this sprayer is having.

2. gebby

gebby LawnSite Senior Member

I have one and swallowed hard when I bought it. It has been a great sprayer. No leaks any where. I think I would ask the dealer again. If there is no help, I'd call the company to explain my problem. I am blessed with my dealer. I buy almost everything from him. Many times he will fix things for free. A couple of times a year I slip him lunch money as I walk out the door. It leaves him speechless as most everybody else that walks through the door is misable. He makes me smile and he I make him smile. Take your sales slip in and ask for some help please.

3. Bgaz

Bgaz LawnSite Member

I had to replace the seals in both my sprayers. They would overflow at the top every time you pumped them. There is a repair kit that your dealer should have.

4. Guzzo856

Guzzo856 LawnSite Senior Member

you need to replace the seal.... After everytime you use it rinse it out with water. or soapy water, because in time the chemicals corrode it.

5. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

There is a oring that need to be replaced I will get you the part number when I get in the truck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

If you go pepboys and get nitrile oring part number dc568-212-10 that will fix it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Fresh_Cut

UPDATE:

I took it in to have them service it and they charged me a half hour of shop labor which I grunted at paying because I had just bought the sprayer this past September. (I said that to say that I thought it should have been covered under warranty) I paid it anyway. I get it home and start to rinse it out, I put 2 gallons of water in it and start spraying my yard to rinse the hose and everything out... it's still leaking!

The next day I call the shop manager at my dealer and tell him, "I need a new sprayer. I picked it up yesterday and sprayed my yard with 2 gallons and it was leaking worse than before, and this is after y'all charged me a half hour of shop labor." He said to bring it in and he'll look at it while I was there, I get there and their swamped so he doesn't even look at it, just picks it up and starts to get me a new one.

So I got a new one, haven't sprayed anything with it yet. I bought some 3-n-1 oil that they said to use every week in it, too. I hope I don't have any more problems with this new one.

8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

From what I gather, it has a 2 year warranty. I would have went off on my dealer if he tried to charge me for something still under warranty. Did he make you buy a new one? If not, did he refund the money you paid for them to fix the other one?

9. Fresh_Cut

He just swapped the sprayers for one in the showroom, he didn't refund the money I paid for them to fix the other one.

Should I ask him about that?

It was $34

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, they gave you a new one, if it cost you $34 I am not entirely comfortable with what appears to be their way
    of covering some shipping costs but I would just let it be, it's not the worst expense in the world and if your
    problem is fixed I would just take it for what it's worth, of course I am assuming your new one doesn't leak.