Stihl SH 86 C-E or Echo ES-255 Shred N Vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by M&T, Apr 9, 2014.

1. M&T

M&T LawnSite Member

Anyone own or use either the Stihl SH 86 C-E or Echo ES-255 Shred N Vac. If so what are your thoughts.

2. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

Ive been looking at buying one as well....subscribed!

3. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons LawnSite Bronze Member

I asked something similar last fall, I asked if the shred and vac was worth it for fall cleanups, most said no. if what you really want is a blower, then the vacuum is an obvious bonus.

4. M&T

M&T LawnSite Member

I am assuming the shred n vac is not a highly desired piece of equipment. So instead I put a mulch kit on my Lazer Z.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Have two of the Echos. Great for high detail work and gutter cleaning. Can't fit a Lazer into a 20 ft deep planting bed. Not for everybody, but mine have made money. Very useful inside landscpaed pool cages where you don't want to blow anything into the pool.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. BJWLAWNCARE

BJWLAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

^^^ Agree. I have 2 echo's as well. Good for detail work. The biggest thing is if you suck up mulch. If you get a hard piece it will jam the grinder and you have to shut it off and clear the jam.

7. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Stihl one and agree with what the last 2 have said. If you don't have High detail work don't bother spending the money.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. vegandude

vegandude LawnSite Senior Member

i have an ancient echo shred/vac that i use extensively for detail cleanup when doing shrub work and it saves so much time and makes the job look great. I actually have a brand new one on order awaiting arrival. I would have gone with the stihl except that the shutoff switch is totally a joke. i have given up fixing the switch on my stihl blower(86ce) which is the same design as their shred/vac

9. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

ive been considering the stihl myself. From everything ive read, blowers are more efficient most of the time, but my thought is that it would be beneficial for the detail work. There are times when blowing the debris is a problem. I don't want to be blowing them into the road or onto someone elses property either. For cleaning out the leaves from shrubs, or something like that, seems like it will be a hand addition. Id probably never use it as a blower, and keep it configured for vacuum duty.

10. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

Basement steps is where they shine for me. I'm going to give it a try when trimming boxwoods and similar bushes. It doesn't do well getting leaves out from under bushes. The suction of theses units leaves a lot to be desired.
    Posted via Mobile Device