stihl sh85?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by barcode148, May 16, 2006.

1. barcode148

barcode148 LawnSite Member

i am looking to buy a new blower/vac in the next 2 days and need some input fast. i was looking at the stihls. i need something that i can change from blower to vac for fall clean ups. im not going to spend anymore than 300 but i want something that will hold up to 30 lawns a week.
  2. lawnboyblake

lawnboyblake LawnSite Member

Don't buy it,
    I did about a month ago thinking it would be good for cleanups. BIG MISTAKE!!!! Dont you dare pick up a piece of mulch in it, you'll be diggin it out of the fan for an hour. MY advice, save the 30 bucks on the Non-Vac unit and buy a couple cases of beer:drinkup:
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Great blower however......I sure I will be corrected if wrong but I don't think any of those vac associated with hand blowers are any good. Just blow the stuff on the lawn and mulch it up is usually faster.
  4. cen02135

cen02135 LawnSite Member

Just bought an sh 85 three weeks ago. It's been in the shop twice since then. As mentioned previously, don't pick up any mulch, or twigs, or you'll be spending more time unjamming it than using it.
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

if you need a vac buy a commercial vac w/hose attachment for stair wells and they have steel fan blades that will hold up to a lot of abuse. I have one with a 9hp and 12' hose and it work great for stairwells and areas where blowers can't get to very well.
  6. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

that sucks, I just bought one a couple of weeks ago too. I have used it like 4times. I think it is good for what I bought it for. Don't buy it thinking you can suck up a yard full of leaves. You could, but my grandma could rake them up faster. I mainly got it for a few properties mainly commercial, that have curbs and large parking lots, etc...Most have small trees (live oaks or crape myrtles) and as the leaves fall they tend to collect in corners. It is good for picking up stuff like that. Also I have picked up shrub trimmings. Sometimes I blow the stuff in the grass, however, in some cases it is faster to suck up than to blow 40-50 yards or more to the woods or to a grass area where the mower can pick it up. I hope I am not as disappointed as some with mine. So far so good.
  7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

For blowing grass off the sidewalk, you could get by with it. Sucking up leaves, twigs and who knows what else.......plan on spending waaaay too much time doing it.
  8. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I bought my SH85 in the spring and it's been great all year long. Lots of blowing power for a handheld.

Now I wouldnt suck up a whole lawn of leaves, but I use the vac to get excess leaves off of a little 10x10 area my customer has that I would otherwise have to rake. Works good for me.

The mulch will get stuck though. Dont suck any beds.
  9. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

I use mine for detail work after I'm done blowing and bagging 95% of the rest of it. Great for cleaning up the hard to reach places and those stubborn leaves that seem to just not want to be picked up. mulch will jamb it up, but I've never had a problem un-jambing it.
  10. zurfsturfcare

zurfsturfcare LawnSite Senior Member

i bought a craftsmen vac/blower 2 years ago for $90, i didnt want to spend 300 on a handheld vac that i only use for small cleanups, it is still running strong, i cant count how many twigs and pieces of mulch i've heard that thing pick up