Stihl SH86 Shred N Vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Mar 20, 2009.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone have any experience using the stihl SH86 Shred N Vac. I was thinking of buying one to help with spring clean ups. I know that these units are limited to picking up small amounts of leaves in flowerbeds and so forth. Just wanted to know if anyone has used the stihl version before buying.
    Thanks.

2. powernoje

powernoje LawnSite Member

I own a stihl sh85 and it is a good blower but it has no suction to pick up leaves and such... I would not buy one for that purpose...

3. clif10

clif10 LawnSite Member

i have one and it has plenty of suction for leaves, watch out for bigger pieces of mulch. im glad i bought it and it actually works better than i thought it would!

4. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone have anymore feedback on this unit?

5. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering the samething.

6. michaelee2

michaelee2 LawnSite Member

I was thinking about one also but would like to get opinions on them. How hard are they to convert to blower and back to vac.

7. clif10

clif10 LawnSite Member

its about a 2 minute change over , boths ways, once the initial installation is done. ive been happy with mine, like everything, theres a time and place for it, i used it about 3-4 hrs last week picking up piles of leaves, hard to reach places. watch out for sticks and bigger pieces of mulch. now i want a bigger vac.!!

8. Kingram52

Kingram52 LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

Anybody know who has the best prices on the stihl or echo shred & Vac's?

9. davidl79

davidl79 LawnSite Member

I have one and it works pretty good. Like eveyone said, look out for sticks and mulch. They get stuck in the fan easily. I just took mine apart because the wet leaves and mud built up around the fan. If you plan on doing big areas, I would look into a billy goat. If you are taller the stihl will kill your back from all the bending over.

10. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

i was really considering one for hedge trimming. instead of having to rake out the clippings from mulch beds and creating disturbance, you would come in with the bg85 vac and suck the clippings right up, would be alot faster if the unit works well.