STIHL shredder vac/blower.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JayD, Apr 12, 2008.

1. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys, any one use these? I was looking for something that would pick up cig.buts out of grass/pavement. What else do you use it for?
    Thanks for all info.
    Jay

2. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

We have 2, they work ok. Just don't suck up any mulch, it gets jambed behind the impeller.

3. JayD

What do you use yours for?
    They told me to watch out for rocks because it would break them.

4. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

I have a sh85 , works good on cig. butts &paper but does get jammed once in a while with mulch or small sticks . Overall i would recommend it.

5. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

We have only one and this is good. Stihl markets this for commercial use, but it has no anti vibration system like the Stihl 600 blower for example, plus it jams real easy when it pulls in small gum balls.

It works pretty good for pulling leaves of pine straw for example, but we don't use it as often as we hoped we could use it.

6. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I bought the sh 85 a couple years ago and honestly, I use it as a hand held blower more than anything. Small sticks will jam it up. know first hand. guess it would work great for cig butts. never thought of that use.

7. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I have one also. Use for cig butts and also use it for a few leaves on some commercial properties when the collect in the corners or along the curbs in the parking lot. Other than that they are not much good. And yeah sometimes a small stick will cause it to jam.

8. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

We use ours mostly as a blower, great for a quick job. They pick up small stuff well like stated, and works real well when trimming yews if you have small pieces under 3", but most shrubs just get clogged

9. JayD

Just the same thing I want it for. I have a red lobster account and I try to pick the buts up because if the mower runs over them, it just makes a bigger mess. We have been picking them up with a EZ Grabber and it works good but for time saving, I thought it would be good. Also, I just went and looked at the property and there must be a couple of thousand of them from the winter months and I don't want to picking them up one at a time.LOL

10. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I think it will serve you well for that purpose. It will not get the job done too fast if there are lots of leaves, but it beats having to blow them over the entire parking lot and making a mess when it is not necessary. I would get get it if I were you. You will also have a good backup blower in the summer if needed.