Stihl Split Boom

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blessed 1, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I recently bought a Stihl FS85RT Split Boom Trimmer and the articulating 0-90 hedge trimmer. My problem is the I would like to have a shorter shaft to use on the hedge trimmer than that long shaft that they supplied with the hedge trimmer. If you don't need the long shaft (not trimming high or wide) then you can't really use the hedge trimmer attachment. I guess I'm trying to make a HL75 hedge trimmer (http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/HL-75_90.html) out of a FS 85RT Slit Boom. Does any one else have any suggestions on how to come up with a 12" shaft to use?:confused:

2. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

The lower replacement half shaft for the FS85RT is about 10.00 at my dealer. I would see if its possible to cut down a shaft and cable to the length you want and put the hedge trimmer head on it.
    The drive shaft is the part in question because the outer tube would be easy to cut with a hacksaw or tubing cutter. I will take a look at mine and see if it can be done.

Jimbo

3. Jimbo

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/multicut_attach.html

Check this out.

Look at the fixed head option...see how the shaft is short? If that is the correct length you could order the replacement shaft and cable for it, install it on your head and you are set.

Jimbo

4. Blessed 1

I called Stihl yesterday and got the part #'s. $46.23 for outer drive tube and $19.97 for the shaft but when I went to the local dealer to order we got into a match over whether it was actually shorter than the one supplied with 0-90 head. He is calling the dealer to get the actual lenth. Thanks for your reply's, we are thinking on the same lines!

5. Blessed 1

This is Stihls responce to the question of how long is the shaft on the 0 degree hedge trimmer.

"Hello Mr. Cassell,

We are in receipt of and thank you for your message. We do not have a hedge
    trimmer with a shorter shaft. The request has been made and it was sent to
    our engineers but as yet we have no word as to what may or may not be down
    the road. Thank you for allowing us to be of assistance and we appreciate
    your interest.

Sincerely,
    Paulette V. DuPree
    Co-ordinator, Customer Services
    Stihl Incorporated"

Looks like its back to the drawing board:(

6. Jimbo

Blessed 1-

I think I can make it work if you really want to pursue it??? Should I spend some time on it or can you just use a hedge trimmer?

Let me know.

Jim

7. Blessed 1

I really want to be able to use the for ttrimming hedges other than high or wide but at some point ($70-$80) I have to say is it worth it? I cannot beleive that no one at Stihl has thought of this before now:rolleyes: