Stihl split shaft attachments

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bgaston, May 29, 2002.

1. bgaston

bgaston LawnSite Member

I purchased a Stihl FS85 with a split drive tube, in case I later wanted to add attachments, edger, hedge trimmer, etc. I am now in need of an edger. Does the edger attachment perform well ? Or would I be better off going with a regular edger ? Let me have your opinions on this please. Thanks !:cool:

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know abou the Stihl, but I have the splitboom setup from Echo and it's the greatest. I have the chainsaw, hedge trimmer and mini cultivator attachments. Each one works terrific. The chainsaw is great since you don't have to do bending or get woodchips all over you while working. I'm sure the Stihl is just as good.........
    Pete

3. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

MIne works good. ;)

It has a curved shaft, and I can lean it over giong around beds.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I know you did'nt ask but I gotta tell you, get the power broom att. so many uses I just got mine 2 months ago and use it to spread mulch, level beds, clean stone out of lawns and keep finding new uses each time out.

5. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

Last year I bought a FS85 with the edger attachment. I am very happy with it. It takes less than 30 seconds to swap attachments and saves money (two items for the price of one). I'm sure one day I will get a dedicated edger but just starting out I felt this was the best way to go.

6. Ajays

Ajays LawnSite Member

I use the echo but Im sure they are quite comparable. I would definately use the edging attachment vs. the dedidcated edger because (you may not do this) I only use the edger upon request and for new clients to get a good edge first time then I just maintain with string trimmer. Just an opinion.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

bgaston
    They All Work Great!
    Johnny G. :cool: :cool:
    All Sthil All The Time:D

8. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

blob4: :blush: I also have a question about the broom attachment, does it only att to the FS85 or does stihl sell other wackers that have attachments? BTW what is the price of a new one???

9. greenflag

greenflag LawnSite Member

I have two of the split boom Stihl trimmers. I keep one set up as an edger. I take the extra trimmer head with me. On bigger jobs we can use two trimmers to speed things up.

I also bought the chain saw, & articulating hedge trimmer. All of the attachments work well.

My original idea behind the split boom was in case I had problems with one powerhead I would have a backup.

I will have to get one of the power brooms. How much are they running now?

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

The brooms are running $250 I did not buy the 85 I got the larger 250. It requires you to loosen to torx bolts to change att. but I found it only takes a few min. to do it. I went with the larger power head becouse my dealer said stilh does;nt recomend the broom on the 85 becouse of the weight on the split shaft and becouse I just wanted more power!