1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl starting - open throttle or not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr. Magpie, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

I know some manufacturers recommend opening throttle in order to start the equipment, such as Echo.

My question is does Stihl recommend this for their stick equipment? I don't have a manual around from mine.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Most of the newer Stihl handhelds have a throttle lock for starting. My stick edger and trimmer both have the throttle lock. It gives them about 1/3 throttle.
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

To follow Richard Martin, the setting on the 'start' position is quite important -- at least in my finding. I've heard many complaints on LS regarding hard-starting Stihl handheld equipment. I too found my gear to start poorly, and lived with it for a couple of years.

I've adjusted the throttle position for 'start' lock, and changed to 75:1 Amsoil (from Stihl oil). Hard starting is a thing of the past!

I think my FS85 and FC85 are more than 1/3 throttle for 'start,' but could be wrong.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, the first thing I usually do is set the throttle lock, then prime a little and it fires on the first or second pull.

Hard starting is more to do with fuel/oil and proper care than anything.
    Stihl products do not 'hard start' as many claim they do.
    I never have a problem unless something is wrong and needs fixing.
  5. Mr. Magpie

It might be certain models that have problems, especially the new four stroke ones, Envy.

You are right though, it is an old wacker I have that is giving me problems. Probably needs some care.
  6. Mr. Magpie

I do not know what all you mean by throttle lock. I just floor the throttle and pull the cord. Is there another setting I should be adjusting?
  7. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Magpie....pull the switch all the way back and press the throttle.....It will lock.

After priming, pull once on choke. If it cranks, immediately turn off choke.

If it doesn't, turn off the choke and pull again----it should crank on the 2nd pull if cold.

It should crank on the 1st pull (without choke or priming) if hot.
  8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Throttle lock with a couple hits on the primer (w/ choke if cold). If it doesn't start in 5-7 pulls, full throttle w/ no choke.