stihl throttle cable

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by man of stihl, May 14, 2006.

1. man of stihl

man of stihl LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys i was mowing today and my throttle cable broke on my fs80. i ordered a new cable earlier today. what i was wondering is if they are hard to switch out or not. the trimmer isnt under warranty anymore so that aint a big deal. any tips or tricks anyone has?
    thanks,
    lance

2. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

i didnt do this exact one, but most are a little barrel on the end of the cable at the carb that just slides out, and the other end seperate the handles. probably all torx screws.

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have replaced one on an FS85. I am not sure of the similarity between the FS80 and FS85, but most likely they are close.

The job proved to be much simpler than I expected. If I can recall, ...

Take off the engine shroud to get access to the carb area. Take off one side of the handle shell (I attempted to take off the handle, but that was not necessary). When the shell comes off, it will expose the connections to the trigger. There are several plastic parts that can easily jump out, so take care. Getting them all back together (with the trigger, interlock, start/stop switch, etc) can be tricky. The connection at the carb is simple -- run flex cable across a slotted screw head to secure.

If you typically do all your own repair work, this task will not be difficult.

4. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

It was a little tricky - actually I'm still working it, and jumped online to see if there was a picture that I could look at. I am working on a FS80r.

I have most of it back together, just have a question about the placement of 1 last piece.

Trial and error.