Stihl trimmer dies quick....

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by khutch, Apr 28, 2005.

1. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Shuts off a couple times a day like you hit the kill switch.
    Usually starts right up then instantly dies again.
    Seems to die in any position.
    Good plug, but haven't checked fuel filter.
    Easy way to check electrical system? (i.e. coil)
    Hate going to dealer unless I have to....

2. ALCS

ALCS LawnSite Member

How old is it?
    And have you checked the spark arrestor on the muffler? If the screen is blocked from carbon deposits it will not run properly.

alcs

3. khutch

Spark arrestor comes off at purchase.
    Unit is 15 months old.

4. TFSTech66

TFSTech66 LawnSite Member

Sounds like an air leak. may have to hhave a leak down test of the crankcase or even the carb...good luck.

5. mike76

mike76 LawnSite Member

Sound like either a fuel line is bad a kill switch is going bad. Look at the fuel line on you trimmer if it's not green then you need to replace it, because they had a lot of problems with the old black line splitting. If you can pull the kill switch out of the machine and unhook one of the wires when it tries to act funny that should tell if its the switch, easyest way i know to check the coil is to either get a spark tester or a new plug put in the plug boot and pull the rope, its best if you can do it in a dark room or at night because it shows up better. It this is one of the new four mix engines, watch the spark when you pull the rope real fast if it gits dim or stops the coil is bad. Had lots of them do the same in my shop so luck.

6. joe stihl

joe stihl LawnSite Member

Might be something as simple as the kill switch. I have seen some of the ignition switches move to the off position when the unit throttled up. There is a tab inside the handle on the switch that keeps the switch from the off position. This problem is easy to see if it is the problem

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Mine did the same thing and I just got it back yesterday. It's the coil, they know of the problem and are now adding heat shields to the new ones. Trouble is there back ordered. My dealer took one off a new one and put it on mine so it would be ready to go. The funny part was there was no warning that it was going bad, worked fine until it quit, started and stopped a few more times and then it would only fire and die.

8. khutch

Turned out to be the coil.....
    $39 part + $11 labor