Stihl Trimmer "Fixed-Cut" Head

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by b727guru, Apr 29, 2005.

1. b727guru

b727guru LawnSite Member

Purchased a "Fixed-Cut" head for my trimmer at the beginning of the season. Salesman said that this is the best way to use trimmer line. (No spool to wind...) Just stop cutting and insert an 8" piece of line and continue cutting.

Problem is...the pieces of line keep coming out of the eyelets as I start working again. It seems that I am stopping more now to pick up the piece of trimmer line that blew out to re-insert it that ever before.

I'm thinking of going back to original spool of string and avoid the hassle.

Anybody else have this problem?

Ssalton likes this.
  2. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

They work great for me. You must have too small of a diameter line in it. I use 130. This size will last from 10 to 20 min.

3. b727guru

b727guru LawnSite Member

Well I use the Orange colored line. I think is .080?

You think that's the problem?

4. mhunt

mhunt LawnSite Member
    from SE

there's no way i'd trade my spool for a "fixed-cut" head, it takes all of 2 minutes to wind up a full spool of line that'll last me a couple weeks.

dishboy and Dawson like this.
  5. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Fixed-cut heads might seem quicker and more convenient, but they waste at least 50% of the trimmer line you use with them.

6. Ssalton

Ssalton LawnSite Member

Yes I have the exact same problem and I'm using the black 3.3 mm fix cut line. I even took it in and the guys said they can't duplicate the problem...probably going to have to change heads cause it's gotten worse and worse as time goes by.

7. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Senior Member

Speedfeed....nuf said.

13Razorbackfan and southerntide like this.
  8. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Get a speed feed and do it in 30 seconds.

southerntide likes this.
  9. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

a couple weeks lol are you a home owner?

just wondering I use speedfeed 450 and ugly line and go through a lot a day rolls and rolls a year but mainly normal properties are at 2acres for me

ericg likes this.
  10. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Senior Member

two weeks is about how long a spool of string lasts on my Speed-Feed 450? That's doing about 85 yards a week. I go through maybe 1 and a half 5 pound rolls a year.