1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl Trimmer FS 110!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hey guys. Well I think I've had about enough problems with this lousy 4 stroke pile of crap. I bought a Stihl FS 110 4 mix trimmer last May thinking "hey, maybe this 4 stroke stuff isn't so bad" Well needless to say by the end of August last year I was having problems getting it started. Now it's to the point where it takes me 30 pulls, I kid you not to get this pile started. Been to the shop 3 times for this problem, had valves adjusted last fall and has been completely torn into in the last week by my dealer. I took it out on Friday to cut some lawns and cold starting took me 30 pulls to get it started. I am absolutely disgusted about this piece. On the other hand I have an FS 85 that is going on it's 4th season and after sitting all winter takes me 7 pulls to get it going. Well I can't say that my dealer hasn't done their job, because they have. Our local guy in town has done a good job for me, hats off to them. The Stihl certified technician has no idea why it's being so tempermental, he's just as pissed off about it as I am. I like the trimmer when it's running, it has great power and is a smooth performer, but I'm not going to yank on the rope 10-15 times on average to get it started every day. My dealer might offer me the "trade" of a used (basically new) rental FS 85RT which is the same as my other trimmer in exchange for my FS 110 to put in his rental fleet. He realizes that I am frustrated and is taking some initiative to get in contact with Stihl to get my problem on the right track. I'm about ready to pull the plug on this machine. As much as I'd like to keep it I just can't afford to have a piece that doesn't perform. Has anyone else had starting problems on their 4 mix machines? I'm using Stihl oil at 50:1 like they recommend and I'm choking the carb just like the book says, full choke until the engine coughs then half choke 'til she fires. Also, I don't run the guard on the shaft for obvious reasons, my dealer says Stihl will frown upon that but I refuse to believe that has anything to do with it. Any ideas? Thanks!
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We bought our new 4 mix about the middle of last year and its always started and it's been a great trimmer.
  3. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

something has to be wrong and your stihl tech.should be able to find it.if he cant call stihl and find another dealer.i am not saying your guy is no good i am just saying he may be missing something.maby not looking at the whole picture.
  4. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

We bought our new 4 mix one month after it was release for general purchase, we now have 4 others,and its always started and it's been a great trimmer. I think there should be a "lemon" law for our stuff, but there is not. Call it even and use it as an emergency back, since it take a mear 30 pulls. Go get another one or switch to another brand, all this is doing is slowing you down and Pis****** you off payup
  5. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

I've been running the same trimmer for a year now and have not had a single problem. Haven't even needed to get the valves adjusted yet. Sorry to hear your having problems. I think your tech may be missing something, but on the other hand you may have hooked a lemon. Hope you get it resolved, I love my FS-110.

6. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

I also have a 110 and have never had problems. Smoooooth.

Did I hear right if the valves get out of adjustment it can make it hard to start? Timing? Just stabbing in the dark.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My 110 over the winter got to were it ran pretty bad. I haven't worked on it yet. Over the next few days I will be adjusting the valves and it should be back to normal. It went about 250 hours before it needed the valves adjusted.
  8. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I bought 2 last spring and have never had a single problem with either one of them. They both start within 3 pulls. Maybe the technician is missing something. Give Stihl a call, with the dealer's help.
  9. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I just bought a Stihl FC 55 edger and had a real problem getting it started the first time. Although the FC 55 is not a 4-mix the problem I ran across was very simple and could be the same thing that is happening with yours. The clutch was trying to engage at start up. With the extremely heavy grease that I found on the drive shaft, it was unable to start under this load. I simply took off the edger attachment, pulled the drive shaft out a little (with difficulty, thick grease!), and it started right up. After I let it warm up I was able to start it with it - all put together. Starts fine ever since. I think that my trimmer was similar but I have put a thinner grease on the shaft since I bought it.
  10. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I'd just like to point out that the 4 mix machines are 2 strokes with a lot more parts really. Not a true 4 stroke.