STIHL trimmer head trouble

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JayD, Jan 20, 2010.

1. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys, I have a STIHL trimmer that has maybe 4 or 5 hours on it because we just get tired of the thing not working right. I did take it back once and of course they just prove that it must just be us. The problem is that if you don't wind the string JUST right, it wont allow the string to come out. I cant think off the top of my head which model it is, but it is one that has the head where you have to wind the string in two channels.

My question to you guys is this.......would those rapid refills (think that's what there called) solve this problem. I'm just tired of messing with it. I have two echos I can use but I like to rotate them all.

I'm not denying that it is our stupidity, so just relax.

2. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

On that head you have to line up the arrows before you turn the knob to wind it. It works well but does not hold enough line for commercial work in my opinion. If it were me I would but the 25-2 head and swap it out. It is the head that comes on the commercial units. Hope this helps.

3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

For me the 25-2 has always been easy to load, no need to be finicky winding string on it, and never had a problem in use.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I also use the 25-2 with no problems. Here's a pic of it just to make sure we're all talking about the same thing.

[​IMG]

There is also a C 25-2 trimmer head that is not the same.

5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I had problems with the same head, it did not like a lighter line wound to feed on one side only. It needs enough mass to pull the mechanism to advance. My solution was to buy a SPEEDFEED.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you do that? Wouldn't that cause a vibration?

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

The vibration is insignificant running 080. I like the performance characteristics of running one long line. It has several advantages IMO.

8. JayD

Yeah, that looks like the one I'm talking about.....Really no problem...

Well, I guess It is for sure just us then. I will have to pay more attention to it and see what he is doing wrong. My helper is the one that really messes around with it, but its my fault for not giving it much time to look at it. I have maybe for about 30 seconds a couple of times and that's about it. We were always just in too much of a hurry to mess with it.

So do you wind yours real tight or kind of loose.

oh......and thanks for the reply

9. JayD

What is a speedfeed.....

10. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ