Stihl Trimmer Heads and spools

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by just4funthen, Jun 8, 2009.

1. just4funthen

just4funthen LawnSite Member

I have two stihl trimmers and the plastic 'bump and feed' spool wears out every two weeks. Once the plastic wears down to expose the ribs, dirt gets in and makes it harder to feed line and the vibs are nasty. I have the ability to make the whole entire assembly out of aluminum at my fathers shop. What do you guys think about that? Waste of time and money or would it be impressive to see something like that in action? I also could copy what Redmax does with a metal insert but thats too easy!

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I think you need to stop dragging it on the ground. I got 6 yrs out of my last one. When trimming just hold it at a slight angle and that will stop the wear.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, what grandview said. A spool should last far, far, far, far, far, far longer than 2 weeks. I get years out of mine.

4. just4funthen

I agree with you guys, but I mainly wear them out by bumping to feed the line. I use the .080 line rather then the .095. which casues me to bump more often. What lheads do you have?

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Then don't bump with the trigger pulled so deep. Figure out the minimum rotation required to bump the head, and always slow to that rpm.

Oh yeah, and dump your guard and the frequency will plummet.

6. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

2 weeks ? You are doing something wrong !

Keep your guards on.

7. flyboy

flyboy LawnSite Member

If you could make it to the exact specs and get it to work, sounds like it would definitely be unique- an aluminum billet trimmer head:cool2:

You are definitely dragging the head if you are going through them that fast. I've had guys that wentr through them like that and they were dragging them everywhere they went:hammerhead:

8. just4funthen

I will NEVER use guards! I hate being limited and not having 100% visiblity of what I am cutting. I like my line out alot futher out than any guard would allow. I have tried reducing the rpm's which seemed to help alot. I guess I am looking for a indestructable line head that would last for years. And to be the only one as far as I know with a all metal head. THe FS130 has enought power to move the mass of it too.

9. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

Why not just make an aluminum insert for the spool instead of making the whole thing? I would imagine that a complete spool would be heavy(er) putting more strain on the clutch, driveshaft, gear head, etc.

........... but I like your line of thinking.

If you figure something out, pm me. I've got quite a few worn out spools (NO I didn't wear them out) and so does my buddy.

10. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

Learn how to operate the trimmer properly and you won't be wearing out something that lasts most pros years in 2 weeks.

Aluminum head = expensive waste of time.

Not using the guard = stupid unless you're rich and can pay for the damages or injuries you'll certainly cause sooner or later.