Stihl trimmer, no power

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by All Seasons Landscaping, Aug 13, 2005.

1. All Seasons Landscaping

All Seasons Landscaping LawnSite Member

Hi,
    First off, I'm new here. Glad to be here, you guys have a lot of good information! I have a Stihl FS-76 trimmer. It has been working great for me so far, but the other day when I went to start it up at one of my jobs, it ran fine at idle but wouldn't rev all the way when I squeezed the trigger, and it had no power. The gas is good, I replaced the plug, I cleaned the carb (pulled it apart, cleaned it, blew it out with compressed air), checked the fuel filter and lines, all seem to be ok. Anyone have any idea what else it could be? Thanks,
    justin

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

probably the screen in the muffler is clogged up, the spark arestor, just un screw it from the muffler

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Like grass cuttin fool said, pull the screen on the muffler off and hit it with a propane torch, this will remove the carbon buildup. Careful though, it will get red hot.

4. rtr

rtr LawnSite Member

Same thing happen to me.I went through all the normal things, listed in previous post, only to find out a peice of plastic had broke inside the trigger. Its a long shot but check the throttle cable to make sure it is engaging when you squezze the trigger.

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

That is normal for sthil squeeze the trigger and no power.

6. All Seasons Landscaping

All Seasons Landscaping LawnSite Member

so i checked the muffler screen/spark arrestor. it was packed full of carbon deposits. also, it was bent in, which is probably what caused it to stop working so quickly. so, i bent it straight again, and cleaned all the carbon off it, and it works great now! thanks for your help!