Stihl trimmer oil seepage

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Mic_bug, May 22, 2006.

1. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

I have an older stihl string trimmer (about 9 years on it) and I am getting some oil seepage from the seams.
    I don't think that I used the wrong oil to fuel ratio(albeit there is some heavy oil residue around the exhaust), but is their a gasket rebuild kit for them that I can change?

2. Parts Changer

Parts Changer LawnSite Member

I take it your seeing the oil around the jug seal. Stihl uses Dirko gasket material to seal the jugs. Should be able to order from any Stihl dealer I think its around 8 bucks a tube. Also fuel mix ratio is 50:1

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The cylinder bolts sometimes come loose on stihl and you can get some leakage. Get a cylinder gasket and put it on and loctite the four mounting bolts. But if you know it definitely an exhaust gasket I would try some high temp gasket maker although you can get those parts. Don't think they have a gasket kit.

4. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

Thanks for the replies. I will check them out.

I think it may be from NOT running at WOT ( as a previous read post mentioned).

So I cleamed it up and ran it at WOT for a bit.
    I could see the muffler starting to weep oil and I continue to wipe as it expelled.
    But after running WOT for 5 minutes it just quits!
    Kindda starving for fuel?

It starts back up and will idle, but will not sustain WOT for any long length of time.

Checked air filter and it looks ok and so does the plug.
    ANy other ideas?

5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

The oil seepage that you see is from not running it at wot or too rich of fuel mixture. Its coming out your exhaust. I bet the reason why it dies after running for a while is that the muffler is either carboned up from all this residue or the spark arrestor is plugged from the oil residue. I would remove the spark arrestor first then clean the muffler with a non flamable solvent.

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Oil out the exhaust on a 2 stroke is normal. Make sure your mix ratio is 50/1 and you are set.

7. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

spark arrestor 'fell off' a few years ago...still trying to determine why she won't maintain WOT for more than a few minutes.

8. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

WITH ALL THIS OIL RESIDUE BUILD UP OVER THE YEARS,
    IS THERE SOMETHING i SHOULD SPRAY INTO THE INTAKE WHEN RUNNING TO CLEAR IT UP?

9. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Sea Foam Deep Creep works well. But first remove muffler, check exhaust port for carbon buildup, clean, replace muffler, go back to work. Oily residue by exhaust is unburnt fuel which can be a result of running rich, or too slow under load, which will result in your symptoms.