Stihl trimmer problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southland, Apr 1, 2001.

1. Southland

Southland LawnSite Member

I have a Stihl FS80 trimmer that is less than two months old. There is a good bit of oily residue being discharged out the exhaust. I know some buildup is normal since I own another Stihl trimmer. But there is so much that I have to wipe is down after only 20 - 30 minutes of run time or else it will start running down the outside of the housing. Have any of you guys ran into a similar problem and if so what did you do to remedy it? Thanks for any help.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i had this problem with my new echo trimmer. my dealer told me to hold the throttle open full for a couple of minutes and it will burn the residue. when you trim do you have the throttle only slightly pulled? he told me when trimming, to always have the throttle open full. he said it was worse on the trimmer to not have it full throttle. hope this helps

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Southland, It sounds like you're just running a little rich on the oil is all. All my 2 stroke equip. does the same thing - won't hurt a thing. Be ready though, because it's a new piece of equipment, sonn you are going to experience what will seem like some REAL trouble. It's not though. What is going to happen, is your trimmer is going to have a drastic loss in power and r.p.m.s. You may think it's coming from the carburetor, or a plugged fuel line, but it's not. It will be from a plugged up spark arrestor screen in the exhaust. Simply remove the exhaust and the small screen inside, clean, and replace. Or, like I did, just remove it and pitch it. The exhaust will breathe much better without it, adding to your overall power. I hope this info helps! Good luck!

4. LWNMWRMN

LWNMWRMN Banned

what gas and what oil are you using? you should be using a fuel that has detergents in it (89 octane or better) an oil that is ISO rated(only three OEM's are, stihl, husqvarna and echo)and you should be running your trimmer at full rpm for a couple of reasons, cooling and scavenging(the process of using up all the unburned fuel wichwould normally be passed out the exauhst.

5. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

Run it wide open , 2cycle engines get more oil with more throttle and proform better,
    as far as the extra oil. are you making a new mix with some mix left over? this will cause the mix to be rich after several fill ups and clog your muffler.

6. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Southland, We run FS80's also and have had the same problem,
    the mufflers are loading up with residue, one of the guy's at the shop where we buy our equipment from said we are'nt running it hard enough, we tried that and it did not do any good so we
    enlarged the three exaust holes in the muffler and this seemed to help alot. I hope this helps.

Good Luck!
    jerryslawnservice@home.com