Stihl Trimmer Question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by True Cut Lawn Maintenance, Oct 3, 2005.

1. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Posted this in the commercial section but thought maybe id get more response over here

Ok everyone, when i was starting out this summer i bought a Stihl FS 55 trimmer, i know its a homeowner but its what i wanted and could afford at the time, well the thing is leaking gas badly cant find where it is comming from but when mowing a property on saturday i had to take out the plug crank it over and clean the plug it fired and ran ok but was rough

Am taking it to the shop tomorrow and im am trying to decide if i should buy a new commercial grade stihl trimmer. I like the fs 80 but its still got that damn flexable shaft in it

my question is

is it worth it to move up to FS 110 so that i can use the removable gearboxes
    and is it at all possible to use the FS80 with the removable gearboxes

what price should i expect for both of the models and could i deal them down a little since its end of the season (this is the dealer where everything except the trimmer and my blowers have came from)

thank you in advance

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about the other advice for selection, but the gas leak has got to be something simple. You may have to flip it upside down and such while watching it closely to see what areas get saturated by gas. Many times, it is the cap that leaks. This is caused either by a bad gasket (they wear out and/or tear from being pinched too tight), and/or bad threads on the cap. Another place to check is the venthose. This runs down into your tank and at the top is a small stop cap. It is also possible that your fuel line has a small leak in it. If you can't find it by rotating the trimmer over, then start the motor and run it and watch closely.
    On the other issue of you having to take the plug out, what did it do, stall? Just running rough? Was the plug wet?

3. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

plug was soaked with gas i went to use it about a hour after mowing the church that i do

damn thing wouldnt even fire or pretend to fire its still under warrenty so my first thought was let em fix it burns my butt that somthing that ive used lightly to say the least until the last 5 weeks or so wont even run

i bet it has 4 or 5 hours on it at the most more like 3

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Even thou it's a homeowner's model, it is a stihl... Unless you're using it full-time, it should hold up... I have 3 homeowner model 2-cycle things myself which I use maybe a dozen times a year or so and have had them for 2-3 years without a problem. Like the other guy said, the gas leak should be an easy fix, you can bother the dealer or find it yourself...
    Far as the next best model, I couldn't tell you exactly because I own the fs-85 which they no longer sell (thou you might can find one). The fs-85 has a solid shaft and if I'm not mistaken, the fs-110 has a flexshaft (yes I know it's a straight shaft but the thing that spins inside is a flex) and only solid shafts will take certain add-on tools... I myself love the hedge-trimmer attachment because it's a tail-saver for taller trimming jobs, I've never owned a ladder.
    Now you didn't say this, but just to make sure...
    Flex vs. solid has nothing to do with curved or straight, thou curved is never solid while straight can be either...

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have the fs55 and it has held up well to commercial use. I will join in like the rest and say that I dont think its much wrong with it, something simple. I can understand how you feel, you pay good money for equipment and expect to get good service from it and then have problems when you need the equipment to be working. Good luck and hang on to that 55 its a good trimmer.
    This late in the year I dont know if I would purchase a new trimmer or not. But if it was me, I would go with the 110 so that you can swap out the gear box. Or , and someone correct me if Im wrong, you can buy the steel driveshaft and put it in the fs80 and still swap the gear box. Guess it depends on if you like the 4 stroke or 2 cycle.
    Which ever you do I would keep the 55 for a spare or back up trimmer, never hurts to have an extra laying around

6. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

normally i would just tear into it and fix it but im not that experienced with 2 cycle stuff and since its still got the warrenty why not just let the dealer worry about it

also can you swap about the flex shaft for a solid shaft??

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Yes the FS85 has solid drive shaft but is not made anymore! However, i have heard on here that if you get the fs80, you can get a kit or something like that to upgrade it to a solid shaft. I have the FS 85 and love it. If i had to get another one, i would get the 110, just for those times that i do need more power. Thats if you do want/need to get another one. Just my 2 cents!!

8. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

Dropped it off at the dealer today and they said 2-3 days to fix, i have yards to do tomorrow before the weather turns to crap but i have a FS45 for a backup and i think it will work fine

300 bucks for a trimmer is a little out of my reach right now

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

That turned out good for you. I would imagine that it was warranty work. 2-3 days isn't much to wait when you think about that you didn't have to spend 300 on a new one and since you do have a backup for those days!

10. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

only bad thing is im driving 20 miles each way but i can deal with that

i might buy some fuel hose to have on hand for thsese things now if indeed thats what it is but since the primer bulb was always very full i dont know