Stihl trimmer question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Aug 6, 2006.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I don't run this brand of trimmer, but does anyone who does know the size (width) of the shaft that spins the head?
    i know you can switch certain gear boxes, heads and accessories between some brands.

i'm wondering if a stihl flex cable (or solid shaft??) is the same width as an echo flex cable?

a friend is giving me a stihl hedge trimmer head, and i'd like to put it on the end of me echo.
    i know the redmax version is compatible with echo, don't know about stihl.

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

No they arent the same. One is very very minimally smaller than the other. I had the same thing happen and was going to grind the end down to make it fit. Its just a tad bit of a difference.

3. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

What is fga? An acronym maybe?:confused:

4. fga

fga is the initials of my business name. So yeah, acronym it is.

Scott,
    the outter shaft itself was slightly different, or the drive cable that runs inside the shaft? either one, i'd have to address it, but the outter shaft i think would be less of a task to fanagle something.

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Okay okay let's hear it.

6. fga

Full Green Ahead Landscaping
    [​IMG]

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Cool it say's it all.

8. fga

thanks, you should have heard some of the bombs i was throwing around beforehand.:)

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I beleive the stihl shaft end is a bit bigger than the echo. so you would have to grind it down just a bit, and then it would probably work. But if its a echo you have, you may need a stihl shaft and drive cable. The stihl and echo shafts are also slightly different lenghths, I guess they didnt want anyone to try to do this.